Assuming my survey touched off your question to the group, I did check the
LM_NET guidelines to see if I needed permission first and didn't see anything
that said I did--so I sent it off. I would not have minded sending it to Peter
first--and if that was required, I apologize now.
I have been a practicing librarian for 20 years, 8 years at the Hornell Public
Library and 12 years at Arkport Central School. I am taking a course "just for
fun" on Intellectual Freedom from SUNY Buffalo from Professor John Ellison. It
is course LIS 580. One of the requirements is a paper with "compulative and
comparative data". Well, with research on the role of the librarian and trustee
in censorship cases, I can't exactly search OCLC. My first choice then, was the
largest database of librarians I am in contact with. ..LM_NET. My second choice
would be the librarians in my local School Library System, but I didn't feel
that went far enough afield to give good data.
I have received about 10 responses in the past 3 hours, and I thank those who
have, are and will respond. I put the deadline so those in a hurry would toss it
and not even bother and I kept it very short and to the point.
I hope LM_NETTERs will always be able to help in a pinch like this-I certainly
wouldn't expect a response from all 7,000, but any help I get will be just
that-a help.
Thanks to those who have lent a hand.
Terry Guenther
Arkport Central School