Dear LM_NET'ters,
        More than a month ago I asked for suggestions of books with great
first lines/openings. I got some wonderful, helpful responses.  Since I haven't
asked
permission to include names, I hope those who shared their knowledge and ideas will
forgive me for their anonymity here. A great big THANKS to all who replied. I'm
looking forward to doing something with this.
        Two respondents suggested checking Cricket magazine, which I did,
through Middle Search for the last five years. As they had said, there is/was a
feature,
"Favorite First Lines," based on readers' contributions. I found this is the
following issues: November '91, February and June '92, January '93, September and
December '94, March and June '95.
        One person suggested that we should do this for the kids only as a
first step, with Step 2 requiring them to bring in their own candidates for best
first
lines and essentially book talk these to their peers. One LM_NETter described an
acitivity she does called "hooks," which focuses on first lines with a particular
theme or focus:
        TIME "It was a dark and stormy night" Wrinkle in Time
        Question or riddle: " "Would Gracie the cat be jealous if the Pyes
got another pet--a dog?" Ginger Pye
        Quotation: ""Where's Papa going with that axe?' said Fern to her
mother..." Charoltte's Web
        Command: "Imagine a tropical forest so vast you can roam in it all
your life wiothout ever finding there was anything else" A Stranger at
Green Knowe
        Character description: "He was a giant of his kind: he had been
the biggest of his litter and had stayed much larger than the other
wolves" Wolf of Shadows
        Startling fact: "I am afraid" Z for Zachariah
        Summary of a key idea: "The Pushcart war started on the afternoon
of March 15, 1976, when a truck ran down a pushcart belonging to a flower
peddlar" The Pushcart War
        Definition: "The island of Gont, a single mountain that lifts its
peak a mile above the storm-wracked Northeast Sea, is a land famous for
wizards." A Wizard of Earthsea
        Action:"They were fighting again" Building Blocks
        Description of a Place: "The first meadow I can well remember was a
large pleasant meadow with a pond of clear water in it" Black Beauty

        Here are other titles that were recommended:

        Wolf Rider; True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle (two people
suggested this) - Avi
        Charlotte's Web: "'Where's Papa going with that ax?' cried Fern."
        Mick Harte Was Here - Barbara Park
        Jennifer Murdley's Toad - Bruce Coville (quote approximate because
the book wasn't in hand): "If Jennifer Murdley hadn't been forced to wear her
brothers
underwear to school that day, the whole thing might never have happened."
        The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (three people offered this): "The
Herdmans were the worst kids in the history of the world."
        Freaky Friday - Mary Rodgers
        Tuck Everlasting - Natalie Babbitt (opening paragraph)
        Nightmare Mountain - Kehret
        Three Terrible Trins - Dick King-Smith: "At six o'clock on the
morning of her birthday, Mrs. Gray's husband was killed and eaten. It was her first
birthday,
and he was her third husband."
        I Capture the Castle - Dodie Smith (probably): "I write this sitting
in the kitchen sink."

Recommended author for good first lines/paragraphs:
        Betsy Byars
        Walt Morey

    Thanks again to all you great colleagues who responded.

     Kathy

--
Kathy Foulke<epgst022@llwsbe.wsbe.org>
Gordon School