Friends:
        Understanding that I represent a different perspective, I would be
remiss were I not to share the following thoughts about "security" systems.
To me it is paramount that we be relentless in asking ourselves the
question: Regardless of others' sometimes poor choices, am I helping the
library of trusting souls, here, or am I actually causing harm?

Marie:
        It seems rather obvious to me.  Turn the system off.  It does not
work and never has.  The kids have just offered you a wonderful lesson,
free for the taking, and you've had the wisdom to go at least half way in
not accepting the system rep's (translate: the individual whose BUSINESS
depends upon our being paranoid) tyrannical and abusive Kent State
mentality.  You understand the kids to be pranksters, rather than
criminals.  Nor do you wish to directly, at least, be indiscriminately
punitive.  So, take the next step.
        The kids have demonstrated very effectively how SILLY (not to
mention unjust) this expensive, counterproductive system is.  Were they to
have chosen, they could have robbed THEIR media center blind at any time.
Have they done this?  No.  Do you know why?  Because they embrace the
concept of a library shared in trust.  It's those of us who've forgotten
our roles, demonstrating a posture of surrender, who installed the security
system.
        Will materials be stolen?  Absolutely, and always.  And no matter
what we do to try to prevent this from happening.  And the more we try, the
more it becomes a game (because it's perhaps the only way the otherwise
trustworthy kids have of crying out to express the hurt they feel for
having been abandoned and accused, even as they said yes to their library).
        Okay, I'm going on, here, and it's really not necessary.
        Your solution is obvious.  Turn the insecurity system off.  Ask the
kids to help you dismantle it.  Tell them why you are doing it, and in so
doing, thank them for showing you an invaluable lesson.
        Else post a guard on every book, but please do not tell me about it.
        This really is a golden opportunity for you, Marie.  I hope you'll
trust yourself to reach for it.
        Take care.  In trust, I wish you well.

Jeffrey E. Kirkpatrick

P.S.  I posited this circumstance to my 10-year-old.  His immediate words
to me were "Take the security system out... 'cause they think they're not
being trusted."  He has approved that I send you the above (after I
explained to him about Kent State).  Hey, I got it directly from one whom
we're in business to teach.  'Nuff said?  Have fun.

*****
        The individual or institution which fails to honor and support
viable libraries is simply not credible.  For, a library, as a society, is
people, sharing in trust, for their mutual benefit and edification.  The
naive who fail libraries fail themselves.
        'Nuff said.

Jeffrey E. Kirkpatrick
Profession:teacher/learner
Present occupation: Tape "librarian" +QC
Employer: Arcus Data Staffing
Worksite: Galileo International (Denver Tech Center)
e-mail address: jeffkirk@sni.net

LM_NET Archive Home