Several people thought my problem with MAS might not be the program, but
instead be my system or network.  I am looking into this now.  People said
they ran it on Novell Optinet, Meridian Tower, and Novell Procom Tower.
Several of these used the Full-Text Elite version which I don't have.
There were at least 4-5 votes for MAS.  California said that MAS was state
approved and now there was a discount for them.  Someone said Ebsco is
willing to negotiate on price.  HOWEVER 5 people voted against MAS.

Seven people voted for InfoTrack Super Tom.  They liked the ease and value.
One person wished for a bigger database.  I tried this program last year
decided against it at the time (can't remember why) and may need to try it
again since it got the most votes.  Some people liked it because it is what
the public library uses.  Easy transition for kids.  No one voted against
it.

No one voted for Wilson, but one person did vote against it.

Electric Library did get one vote and none against.  I would like to here
more about this from anyone who uses it.  I heard some negative things
about it from a rep, but my Tech person thought it might be worth a try.  I
guess you can get a 30 day trial at www.k12.elibrary.com.

UMI Proquest had three votes for, none against.  Only comment was it was
too expensive.

Newsbank Newsfile (newspapers) had several good comments.  We have it and
like it, but it is expensive and getting more so.  As for Newsbank
Periodicals no one voted for it.  There were four votes against.  Comments
were:  not wide enough coverage of periodicals (i.e. information) kids use;
too expensive for what you get, and not like the way it is set up.

OK - that is the info I got from you all - NOW here are some more thoughts
and questions as I continue to wrestle with the issue.

I am trying Proquest out and like it OK, but it takes three to four disc
spaces in our tower.  I only have seven slots and don't know when I'm
getting another tower (if ever) so that is a real issue  Expensive too!

I tried Proquest on line (Internet version) and was less than impressed.
Way too expensive and does not serve my purposes.

I am trying Newbank basic - 30 full text.  Not sure I like how it is set
up, don't think it covers enough magazines that I want or use, also
expensive.

In the process of talking to a lot of reps and my other librarians this
issue surfaced - if I get full text how far back does it go?  Seems to be
'88 on the index disc. which you would need to keep in all the time.  There
are two years of full text on one cd, so after that you have to find
another slot for another cd or you need to be putting cd's in and out all
the time which is not convenient (considering where my tower is located).
I am not truly networked, so each program has to be installed separately on
each computer when you change discs.  Real hassle.

If you give up hard copies in order to save money to get full text what
happens somewhere down the line if you need to go back to something else
that is not full text (like a budget problem)?  You can't fill in your
missing hard copies?
Does full text provide graphics like pictures and charts?

What happens to paper and printer cartridge budget if we have people
printing off everything?

I see some real technology issues - like access (how many machines do you
have available to put this program on).  How about enough space for all
those cd's as they mount up over the years.  (Someone said they put a
supermega hard drive in their computers and downloaded the cds onto them so
don't need a tower).

Hard copy questions too, in the light of continuing expense for magazine
programs and cuts in our budgets.  How do we fill in if necessary once we
stop the magazine for a year or two?

I think the answer will eventually be internet magazine databases, but that
too will be very expensive and have problems with with technology and
printing.

So for now where am I?  Believe it or not I may stay with MAS one more year
and see what the next year brings.  Will my budget be cut, will there be
improvements in magazine database programs, will my district finish up some
of the tech work so access and networking are less of an issue?  I guess
everything is in such flux right now that the "wait and see attitude" might
not be too bad.

I have a tech person coming tomorrow to see if we can straighten out my MAS
problems.  I understand that there is some "file" that accumulates and
needs to be taken off, also that the Dos version if run on Windows does not
use extended memory, also understand that the number of hits you allow can
have some effect.
We will see - maybe I will have to go back and reconsider again.

Pam Dodson

Comments are welcome . . . . . . . . . .

Pamela Dodson
Librarian - Sammamish High School
Bellevue Public Schools - Washington
                                             "Books can be dangerous.  The