Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 11:35:35 -1000
From: Manoa School Library <manoa1@aloha.net>
Subject: Target: Incentive for Collaboration

This may be just venting, I hope not...

Our principal had instituted a flexible schedule to accomodate
teacher/librarian collaboration on projects which are tied into the
curriculum.  The reasoning behind this is sound.  Our School Improvement
Plan and Grant proposals are written with this type of planning in
mind.  I was hired at the beginning of the school year with the
impression that all teachers in the school were used to this process,
and supportive of it.

Well...that is not the case.

Most teachers resent it.  They don't want to take the time to plan...not
even for a few minutes.  They generally feel that we would be better off
with a fixed schedule and isolated library lessons, planned only by the
librarian.  Many choose to drop of kids and leave, even though it is
against policy.

There seems to be a general idea that planning means telling the
librarian which subjects they are covering in class for the year in
September, and not talking for the rest of the year, except to schedule
in time.  Planning is left up to me.  I have accomodated, and planned
very elaborate lessons, which should have been followed up in the
classroom, but have not been.  Teachers even plan their substitute time
around their library classes.  Their sub plans say "Go to Library."

Now, here is the dillema.  If I try to uphold administration's policy,
my relationships with the faculty are strained, and teachers do not
bring their classes to the library.  Some even complain to the
administration that I am hard to getalong with.  There have even been
teachers who have lied about incidents to the administration, and the
result is that I look very bad.  If I bend to the teachers,
administration is upset with me for not following through with our
goals.  Since administration is who I report to, I cannot be
insubordinate and go against their wishes.  Administration EXPECTS me to
enforce this policy.

What do I do?  How can I get teachers to realize the value of integrated
library lessons and brief preplanning meetings.  What is in it for them
personally.  Where is the PERSONAL incentive for them to change? They
see this system as a bother and would rather drop kids off, so they can
have more time for other tasks.  The fact that research proves that
integrated lessons are more beneficial to the students is not enough of
an incentive for them.

How have some of you gotten teachers on your side?  I have run out of
ideas.

I will post a hit of all responses.

Mahalo Nui Loa

Terese Britt