Fellow Netters,
Here is the first HIT on the question of what is one item you did like when
you renovated and one you wish you had done differently ?  I didn't ask for
permission to post so have eliminated all names, etc.  I'll post another
hit as more responses come in, let me know if you do not want me to post
your comments. I knew I could count on you people to help me start thinking
in the right directions. If you think of other items please email me direct
as I need all the expert help I can get. TIA Helen Taylor

The best thing we did before building my new library was get suggestions of
new or renovated libraries in the area.  We had the architect, the head of
facilities, and 3 faculty members (including me!) go visit those libraries.
 We talked to the librarians about what they liked and didn't like about
their libraries, I told the architect what I liked and didn't like about
each.  Then we talked about what we needed, and the architect presented us
with two plans.  We all were unanimous in our choice of designs.  I LOVE my
new library!  It's by far the best one in our district.  About the only
thing I'd do differently would be to put in more computer drops along one
wall and in our office.  I'm very pleased with the rest.  You can get a
peek at the library on our web site.  Do a search for ACPS public schools,
then go to Patrick Henry, then library.  Sorry I don't know the exact web
address.  One picture is there now, and I'll be adding a second one soon
after vacation.  I'm working on the page still.

Enjoy!!!
When you buy shelves, do not believe any salesman who says your double wide
shelves do not need anything in between them.  My kids innocently look
through the books on one side of the shelf, and the books on the other side
of the shelf fall on the floor! This was something I was concerned about
and the saleman talked me out of it.  Four years later, a very kind parent
with woodworking skills bought particle board and fixed my dilemma.

I know this sounds petty, but I would never again have dark carpeting.  Ours
is dark brown.  Every time the custodians get it vacuumed, a class comes in
with dried grass on the bottoms of their shoes, and it looks awful!!  I know
you can't have light, or it shows dirt, so i'd compromise and look for a
medium color.  Try to get one that has different colors of thread, instead
of a one-thread color.  I'm sure there's a better name for it, but you
probably picture what I mean.

I also would lower the ceiling if it's being converted from a gym.  i'd want
my circ desk near the door, so kids have to walk past it to get out, thus
lessening the number of stolen books.

I'm envious of you!!  Good luck, and have fun. What a wonderful opportunity.
Can you go visit other places and see what works for them?
Dear Helen,
   Our bond vote passed as well and while I am excited, I am also nervous to be
the one to plan for the next quarter century.  I would love to see whatever
you get for replies to your excellent question.  And no, I am no help .....
I am the one with her head in the sand!  Actually, since we have designed
wings to our school, my library will be the last to be moved - in about two
years time.
Thanks.
--------------------------------------

I had an open area to work with and wanted everything to be movable. The
architect specified a computer counter which ended up to be built in, in
the middle of the floor. If your plans say counter, realize that it is
built in!
I had wanted an office area that would be private, but was talked into
arranging the furniture to create a workarea. Now, as everyone comes in to
use things, it gets a little noisy and there is no privacy.
Make sure there are plugs everywhere. I asked and thought I had it, but
some of the plugs never did show up!
Make sure the seats are comfortable. Everyone seems to complain the chairs
are difficult to sit on for an extended period of time.
Round corners on all furniture, esp the check out desk.
I had steps built into a corner area so I could have story steps. It works
great for stories.
Go for wheels on furniture and you can rearrange the library for programs.
Good luck
Hi Helen,
We did a major renovation about 5 years ago.  The committee overruled my
request to have solid oak shelving.  We went with something else that
was supposed to be as strong but I now have one middle "permanent" shelf
that had to be bolted or screwed in place so that one section I cannot
adjust the shelves.  Go for quality products and the old adage holds:
You get what you pay for.  I do not have a place to show videos because
of outside light and no shades for large windows= you probably won't
have that problem in an old gym.  Things we did right:  we have a
separate area for the younger kids which holds Easy and Junior Fiction
sections; we have a two level circulation desk for different age kids
(we are pres-8th).  Ours is also a bit noisy because of high ceilings-
you should take that into consideration and figure out how to deaden the
sound.  A plus- we have many electrical outlets, some in the floor.  My
office has windows all around so I can supervise if I'm in the office.
Make sure you figure on plenty of shelve space.  I helped my architect
husband design a school library and had to argue with him about using
all the available wall space for shelving, instead of leaving space for
art work, etc. Do plenty of research and stick to your guns, you're the
only one who is the library expert.  Good luck.

Helen Taylor
Vandercook Lake Schools
McDevitt Elementary
Townsend Elementary