Here is part two.
Thanks again to everyone.  My presentation went really well.
Allison

7)  If you are teaching in HS or middle I could suggest things like,
find 5 facts on a disease, country, geological event, etc. from 3
sources.

I quickly go over the Big Six using the worksheet, and then if I have
time, I model the process myself using a slightly different subject.

If you can go to the classroom the day before to go over the Big 6 that
is great.

Sharon Hamer
(hamer@meol.mass.edu)
HOpkinton MIddle/High School

8)  Tami Little from a school in western Iowa has a packet for sale ($5)
that she has used with parents on the Big Six. e-mail address is
TLittle844@aol.com

Norma Thiese
Keystone AEA
Elkader Iowa
nthiese@aea1.k12.ia.us

9)  My most recent take on the Big Six for high school
students is to model each of the skills (in theory, mind you; I
haven't actually done all of this yet!) separately, so they can see
examples of it, see the purpose of it, and experience it themselves.
When this piecemeal approach is complete, then perhaps I would
reinforce the individual skills in a more unified way, talking about
the Big Six as a whole.

This idea occurred to me as I thought about the effectiveness of my
previous experiences in presenting the Big Six at the outset. My
enthusiasm for the subject didn't overcome the fact that most kids
didn't care about the theory behind it; they simply wanted to get
their work done. Breaking the Big 6 into pieces that fit their
immediate needs seems to work better for us.

Best wishes!

        Dave
From:Dave Thomas" <fox@cybrzn.com>

10)  The cover story of our Nov/Dec 1996 issue had to do with students
who used the Big Six and the Internet for a Coomunity Folk Tale project.
If you
can't get a hold of the magazine, try our Web site:
www.infotoday.com/MMSchools.

One of the co-authros is Barbara Jansen, co-owner of the Big Six
listserv; at the end of the article, she gives her mailing address:
bjansen@tenet.edu.

Hope this helps!

Patricia Semple, Assistant Editor
MultiMedia Schools
11600 Toulone Drive
Potomac, MD  20854-3144
301/983-4753; Fax 202/363-9148
semple@well.com

11)  Look at "The Six Habits of Highly Effective Students" Lchool
Library Journal, August 1995.  It's about parents helping students with
homework
using big 6.  Also, got through the BIG SIX archives, there might be
some good things.  I have to do a presentation to county librarians, and I
found going back through past listserve letters very helpful.  Good luck.
Laurie

 "A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose."
Laurie Carter, Library Media Teacher
Woodside Elementary School              3195 Woodside Rd. Woodside, CA
94062
415 851-1571            fax 851-5577
lcarter@woodside.k12.ca.us

12)  There is a Big Six listserv very much like LM_NET.  I am
signed up for it myself and get some great ideas.  Sign up for it just
like you would for LM_NET but in the text write Subscribe Big Six
<first> <last>.  Make sure your text area is completely clear of any other
information like signature files!

Susan K. S. Grigsby
gs02skg@panther.gsu.edu
404-843-0111 (epstein@mindspring.com)