Many thanks to those of you (38) who responded to my survey. As I said, it was
to illustrate that even though all the research indicates the best results in
censorship attempts for libraries are in those libraries that have board
approved materials selection policies in place, have reviewed them on an annual
basis with their board, and insist on following the procedures for
reconsideration of materials as outlined in their policy, beginning with the
filing of a written reconsideration of materials form. In addition, as a result
of reading an article by Dianne McAfee Hopkins in a School Library Journal
(January 1993) entitled, "Put it in writing: what you should know about
challenges to school library materials" on p. 26-30, I asked you about informal
censorship. Hopkins pointed out that on the occasions when the formal complaint
is not filed, the removal of an item is more likely--and that a school employee
is more likely to get away with not filing the form.
        The results of the survey were:
1. Does your library have a board approved materials selection policy?
         YES -- 34    NO -- 4
2. Has this policy been reviewed with the current Board of Education?
          YES -- 19   NO -- 15  UNSURE -- 4
3. Does your library have a form for Reconsideration of Materials?
          YES -- 37    NO -- 1
4. Have you ever had someone file one of these forms?
          YES -- 21    NO -- 17
5.  If so, was the reconsidered material retained, removed or kep with limited
access?
        RETAINED -- 20   REMOVED -- 15   LIMITED ACCESS -- 6
6. Has an informal, unwritten challenge ever resulted in removal of a book?
        YES -- 13     NO -- 20
7. Was this challenge made by a school employee (even a principal or
superintendent?)?
       SUPERINTENDENT --2    PRINCIPAL -- 7  SCHOOL EMPLOYEE -- 1  NO -- 10

My conclusion, in a nutshell, is that even though most of us have a policy on
file, many of us have not reviewed the policy in recent years, or made the
board, the makeup of which may change annually, aware of their role in the
policy. Almost all of us have forms for reconsideration of materials, but many
of our administrators and colleagues circumvent these policies by informally
challenging the policy, often by simply removing the book from the library and
not returning it. There were some wonderful incidents shared by survey
respondents which supported this conclusion.
Thanks to all of you who helped with this. I appreciate the support and the easy
access to feedback.
Terry Guenther
Arkport Central School - a K-12 library

Arkport, NY 14807