--PART.BOUNDARY.0.25574.emout05.mail.aol.com.862682342

Hi hope this works
This is the first time I am posting a hit. It is in 2 parts. Thanks so much
to all of you who gave input. You made my year!!
Susan Roscoe
Duffield Elementary
LMS
Susanr50@aol.com

--PART.BOUNDARY.0.25574.emout05.mail.aol.com.862682342

Susan, when we automated 2 years ago, I didn't worry about the paperbacks=
 until
 after we were up and running.  At that time I catalogued and barcoded th=
em.  T
he kids love them and they are generally pretty easy to get into the syst=
em.  I
 would also suggest that your school invests in a hand held scanner.  The=
se mak
e inventory very quick as well as being useful in creating bibliographies=
=2E  The
y are expensive, but less so than your professional time.  Automating is =
a lot
of very hard work, but it is certainly worth it.  If I were retiring in 2=
  year
s, I would not take on the task of automating, though.  Good Luck.  Lynda=
 Short
   The Lexington School   Lexington, KY   LSHORT1@ukcc.uky.edu
=0D
I don't have sl for my paperbacks either, but I did barcode them and =

manually enter a brief record for them.  Some of them are also in our =

collection in hardbound form, so full marc is available for those.
=0D
Whether you want to take the time to do your own marc for pb's is up to y=
ou =

and the size of your pb collection will probably be a big determining =

factor.  Once you are automated, however, you might have access to on-lin=
e =

cataloging from LC or other large libraries depending on what system you =

buy.
=0D
So far as inventory is concerned, in your present situation I would begin=
 =

early and do small sections at a time to account for "missing" items and =
to =

get the shelves in order.  I've had my aides working on this for a week =

now.  With the shelves in pretty good order, it will take you less time t=
o =

do a final check and your number count.  Don't wear yourself out in the =

numbers department.  Our library supervisor tells us to be diligent all =

year in keeping track of check-outs, extracting payment for lost items an=
d =

not to worry about "balancing" the figures at the end of the year.  There=
 =

are always some things that are "lost and unaccounted for".
=0D
Once you are automated, inventory will be easier but will probably take =

about the same amount of time.  The big benefit is that the computer can =

print lists of missing items so you can double-check shelves and you know=
 =

what to watch for when lockers are cleaned out.
=3D=3D=3D
I also am prep time for teachers.  I teach the very first day of school t=
the very last day.
I see 625 kids a week, and have an aide for 2 hours each morning.
I have piles of books to be added to my automated system, but no time to =
do
it.  No, I can't teach a volunteer to do it. I don't have the time to tea=
ch
it, nor do I have the time to proofread it.  I won't do an inventory unti=
the administration gives me time to do it.  I get to school at least 30
minutes early each morning, and I try to stay at least 30 minutes after
school. But,m as you know, this is not enough time to get much done.  I
need blocks of time, paid time, to get things done.  And what am I told?
there will be at least one more class next year.
If you do things for free why should they pay you?
=3D=3D
We just automated our last 3 schools last year, so I know how you feel.
=0D
On paperbacks:  first, weed out any paperbacks that aren't in very good
shape, because it's not worth purchasing a MARC record if the book won't
be around for more than a year.  Then, for any books that you don't have
shelflist cards for, make a list showing title, author, ISBN, and
publisher.  Most companies can provide you with MARC records if you will
supply them with a list like this.  Also, check your shelflist cards.
The most important info on them is the ISBN or LCCN or LC numbers.  If
they're not on the cards you need to write them in as you have time.
=0D
Very important:  Weed any old books like crazy before automating.  The
better you weed, the better chance of getting good records back.
=0D
As for inventory, don't worry about it until you are automated.  You can
do your inventory in less than a week once you're computerized. =

(Usually my aides at the other campuses get done in 3 days, but I have
them stretch it to a week just because they need the time off from
classes to get caught up and wrap up the year.)  We shut down the
libraries during the last week of school. No checkouts are allowed the
week before, but students come to turn in their books and to have a
story, etc.  All books are due on the Friday before inventory week.
=0D

Copy the ISBN and LCCN's, along with the title and author, onto a 3/5 car=
and include it in your shelf list.  That's enough to get full records for=

your paperbacks.  Handy to have!
=0D

--PART.BOUNDARY.0.25574.emout05.mail.aol.com.862682342--

LM_NET Archive Home