--PART.BOUNDARY.0.8082.emout13.mail.aol.com.862682467

Here is the last (3rd part) of the hit I got on preautomation inventory
questions.
Thanks again.
Susan Roscoe
Duffield School
Susanr50@aol.com

--PART.BOUNDARY.0.8082.emout13.mail.aol.com.862682467

=3D=3D
We just automated our last 3 schools last year, so I know how you feel.
On paperbacks:  first, weed out any paperbacks that aren't in very good
shape, because it's not worth purchasing a MARC record if the book won't
be around for more than a year.  Then, for any books that you don't have
shelflist cards for, make a list showing title, author, ISBN, and
publisher.  Most companies can provide you with MARC records if you will
supply them with a list like this.  Also, check your shelflist cards.
The most important info on them is the ISBN or LCCN or LC numbers.  If
they're not on the cards you need to write them in as you have time.
=0D
Very important:  Weed any old books like crazy before automating.  The
better you weed, the better chance of getting good records back.
=0D
As for inventory, don't worry about it until you are automated.  You can
do your inventory in less than a week once you're computerized. =

(Usually my aides at the other campuses get done in 3 days, but I have
them stretch it to a week just because they need the time off from
classes to get caught up and wrap up the year.)  We shut down the
libraries during the last week of school. No checkouts are allowed the
week before, but students come to turn in their books and to have a
story, etc.  All books are due on the Friday before inventory week.
=0D
Copy the ISBN and LCCN's, along with the title and author, onto a 3/5 car=
and include it in your shelf list.  That's enough to get full records for=

your paperbacks.  Handy to have!
=0D

--PART.BOUNDARY.0.8082.emout13.mail.aol.com.862682467--

LM_NET Archive Home