Hi Jim,

I am in a K-6 school and I have had a paperback book swap during April as
a way to celebrate National Library Week Each student could bring in up to
5 paperbacks in decent condition - can't have writing in it, no ripped
pages, can't be so old that the pges are yellow, etc. I collect the
books one week -there is a box for each grade. I look them over and weed
out any that are't acceptable. I put in some of my freebies from book fairs
if necessary. Students get a ticket for each book they bring in. The next
week they come in with their tickets and choose their new books. I let
them choose from the box for their grade level and from the boxes of the
grade level just below and above their's. I make exception for those
reading 2 or 3 grade levels above. (We don't have many of these). This
year almost 1/4 of the students participated.
--
sheila Davis
Plympton School

On Sat, 3 May 1997, Jim Mahoney wrote:

> no book fair.....
> Great idea is to trade paper back books at the school.
> Kids can trade books by giving book bucks to kids when they bring a book in
> and can get another book for each buck they have.
> I have not tried this but it sound good to me. Wish me luck :)
>
> Jim Mahoney
> Librarian Mark Twain Elem.
> Pasco School Dist.
> Pasco, Washington