Dear Friends,
Yesterday--May 6th--a Callifornia state legislator told a group of school
librarians from the state that in the state of Maine all social studies
teachers have to teach that Lincoln was gay--it is in the state mandated
textbook, he said. When I tried to pin him down by asking him his source and
in what textbook and from what publisher--of course, he did not know.

We are very curious if any librarians from Maine (or from any state) know
anything about this "fact". I called the state department of ed in Maine and
have not received an answer from Connie Minter (??) yet. I promised an
answer back to my colleagues soon who are not on LM_NET.

We want the "straight" facts and plan to fax our senator with proof that it
pays to research. We are all assuming that this "fact" is not exactly true.

Help, Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks in advance.

Sharon Owen
Librarian
2 middle schools
Madera, Ca