Before you dump the fiche, look into what you have in alternate
sources.  CD's and online sources only go back a few years, and may
not be truly "full text".  Many are selectively full text, and count
on it that the article you want is not selected.  Often our fiche is
used when students need articles from the past--one example is an
immigrant project looking into why people move from country to
country.

Another thing to be aware of is the sources only give you what they
decide you need--not what you may really need.  If they decide you
only "need" the past 2 years, then they can drop your access to
anything earlier, and you're stuck.  If your only information needs
are current events, then depending on online resources may work.  If
you ever depend on archival sources, then I'd suggest you keep your
fiche.   The online resources are providing a service of easy access
to certain information.  They are not generally in the business of
providing access to archives or backfiles.

Shannon Acedo
Assistant Librarian
Marlborough School
Los Angeles CA