Thanks to all who responded to my request for tips on library clubs at the
high school level.  I had my first meeting last Thursday and was very
pleased with the turnout. Like last year, the group is primarily interested
in Internet or electronic activities. I'd still like to have a literary
discussion group but that may come later.
This club is separate from my group of LMC volunteers who regularly help
out in the LMC. These student volunteers handle daily routine jobs, help
with display cases and any special tasks I have for them. We have a nice
group of students and like to celebrate their birthdays and any other
special holidays. We don't need much of an excuse to celebrate in the LMC
although all the food must be eaten in the back storage rooms since there
is no food allowed in the media center.
The LMC / Internet club is a separate group although some of them also
volunteer in the LMC. At our first meeting, I had a list of suggested
activites for the group to explore and so far, the response was very
positive. They did add suggestions of their own. These were my suggestions:
a contest to design a library logo; creation of a library brochure showing
all the services offered in the LMC using desktop publishing and graphics;
creation of a PowerPoint slide show or a Hyperstudio presentation to
showcase the LMC; web searching services to help the faculty by locating
sites to support the curriculum; publishing a periodic technology
newsletter to point out new online projects, great web sites, etc.; and
planning a technology night for parents to showcase what the Internet is,
how to search for information online, use of search engines,etc. The
students indicated an interest in creating and maintaining a web site.
Three freshman already know html and one has his own web page so they know
more than I do - no surprise there! Teachers have already put in some
requests for web searches and the students started with that.
So far, I like the direction we're going in and will probably assign
different tasks to small groups of students since they cannot all work on
the same thing. Literary discussions may have to wait for now as I think
our plans are ambitious enough for the time being. Field trips to the lower
grades, to the local university and even to a bookstore are real
possibilites that I am considering. We even have a small budget so we can
plan to go somewhere.
The LMC volunteers and the club are in addition to a separate group that I
help monitor. This is the Adopt-a-Teacher group of student technology
wizards who will be trained later this month by our Technology Coordinator
to help the faculty with problems that might arise with the new technology
in our building. This is the first year that we will have computers in
classrooms. One third of the classrooms have been added to the network this
fall with another third to follow in spring 1998. It's an exciting time and
the feeling is that the students can be a great reservoir of help.
Sorry to go on so but I'm so enthusiastic about the students and their
interest in participating in all the activities mentioned. I just felt the
need to share the good news. I hope the students will continue to be so
supportive.

Now I will post the responses along with my original post. By now, you
probably don't remember the original question. Thanks to all who took the
time to share. I welcome any further suggestions.

Original post:
>It's time to begin the Library Club at our high school and I need some
>suggestions on activities or projects that other clubs are involved in.
>Most (in fact, virtually all) of the students who participated last year
>were interested in the Club as an Internet group thus we named the group
>the LMC / Internet Club.
>I want to encourage book lovers as well as web surfers so I'd like to hear
>about a variety of activities. Supervising the group is a pleasure, but we
>need to have concrete plans or goals for the direction the club will go in.
>Please, please help me out. This is my second year and I want to really do
>something worthwhile that puts the students' enthusiasm to good use.
>Leaving ideas up to them was unsuccessful last year.
>Please send your suggestions to me personally at eichel@buffnet.net. Thanks
>in advance for all the help and support.
>
>Sandy Eichelberger, LMS

>I'm sorry, but I was so careful about copying your address that I forgot
>to get your name.  I would suggest centering on a theme.  This allows you
>to use all kinds of resources yet have a focus.  It's worked for Summer
>Reading Clubs for years.  It can also let students feel that they are each
>bringing a special skill to the club.

>I would hope that each club sponsored by a high school would
>include some type of community service project.  Your lib. club
>internet group could possibly agree to rotate the pleasure of reading
>to elem. students if scheduling, transportation, etc. could be worked
>out (our elem. is across the street, so there are very few
>complications for us that way).  Our FBLA recently held a roadblock
>and collected money for the Arkansas Children's Hospital in Little
>Rock which has served many families in our state in a wonderful way.
>Your club  might be able to come up with a
>com. service proj. related to computer use (perhaps an evening
>session on "how-to" for community members  interested in basics on
>internet use OR publish good, reliable sites for elem. parents to use
>with their children).
>

>My son recently has been completing college entrance info sheets and
>is being asked repeatedly about his com. serv.  We need to provide
>students with the opportunity to help others as well as help them
>reap the joys of serving others.

>our library club is going to try "Mystery Dinner Theatre" this year.  We
>encourage reading in the genre of mysteries by purchasing a game-kit of a
>mystery/play from the local book store, Copperfields.  We have a limited
>number of attendees, send them character outlines ahead of the event, then
>have them come and perform.  Someone is the "victim" (murder!), someone is
>the criminal, and everyone else is "on the case.
>Wish us luck!

>Nice to hear from someone else who has a library club.  We call ours a
>"media club" and they each help one hour a week at the circulation desk,
> [...]

Thanks again to everyone. By the way, my address is Eich as my children
receive considerable electroic mail and want a generic name. My three boys
are all nicknamed Eich although my daughter and I have managed to escape
the moniker. It's part of life at our house.

Sandy Eichelberger, LMS
West Seneca East Senior High
West Seneca, NY 14224
eichel@buffnet.net

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/