Good day all,
   I had a request for a hit on the following. Haven't tried any of the
suggestions yet. I don't think the problem lies with memory, tho, unless I
need to tell the computer where to put it. I thought the machine would take
care of itself in that respect! Must admit, my laptop (Toshiba with Intel
Pentium and 16 megs RAM) does not have the problem! Guess 8 just doesn't cut
it these days!!! Maybe I have too many cut and paste snippets from this
listserv and too many 'favorite spots' bookmarked.
Thank you for the suggestions. One by one they will be tried. I am thinking
about reloading AOL (America Online). We'll see.

At 08:14 AM 11/1/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I hope someone can help with this. I quite often get the following message:
>WAOL caused a general protection fault in module 256_1280.DRV at 0007:oB06
>(or oD39, or oC49).
>This only occurs when I'm on the web, usually when jumping from link to
link.
>I am on an Acer (IBM compatible) ACROS 486sx/25 computer and use Windows 3.1
>and America Online 3.11.
I suspect the problem lies with your web browser. There are several web
sites out there with newer tools which don't like the browsers used by AOL.
I don't know any good way around this other than moving to a service
provider other than AOL.

You might want to check out some of the following web sites for more
information:

<http://www.joesgrille.com/AOL.html>
<http://www.mutoscope.com/amol.htm>

In a nutshell, the message probably means your machine needs more memory.
Probably RAM, maybe on the graphics card, maybe both.  That kind of message
means that the software tried to write information into a part of memory
that it had no business getting into.   It is also possible that the
software has an error that is permitting it to attempt to write where it
should not, in which case more memory would not solve the problem (but my
instinct is to say your machine needs more memory -- how much does it have
now?).  My programming/operating systems/technobabble qualifications are too
ragged now to offer much more of an opinion, though.
I used to get those messages frequently on my 486/33 (school) and
especially on my 386/16 (home). They stopped when I upgraded to Pentium
133 w/16meg RAM. I suspect it's how much RAM memory you have, not the
speed of your processor. Try adding some more RAM, which you can
probably do yourself.
In brief, this message means that WAOL is trying to access a memory at
that specific address where access is not permitted.  It is a software
problem, not much you can do.  For detail, look up the topic in any of
the Windows book.  Don't be fooled into upgrading your hardware by any
sales for this problem.  I learned my lesson the hard way.
Thank you again,
Helen McMaster, librarian
Veazie School (K-8)
Veazie, ME
WITCHAVEN@AOL.COM

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/