Dear Friends at LM_NET=97
        Thank you so much for your response to our school=92s project-"Read
Across America."  We have received close to one hundred responses from
all around the country.  I have posted two lists previously.  This list=20
(in two parts) is my final post and finishes up suggested book titles
from around the country in every state except Idaho.  If ANYONE (but
especially someone from the state) can suggest a title from Idaho, our
list would be complete. We've made Read Across America the library's
theme for the year.  I posted a map of the US on a large bulletin board
outside of my library. Then I sent out an appeal on LM_NET for email
greetings and suggested titles from each state.  I've posted each email
on the board and attached it by yarn to each respective state. I have
put out a memo to teachers, students and staff to send me the titles of
books they've read set in a particular state.  I designed a picture of
an open book from Microsoft Publisher in which the reader's name is
typed on one page (side) and the title, author and setting on the other
page (side).  My goal is to have the bulletin board covered in these
small books by the end of the year.  I'm not attaching the book pictures
by yarn--that would be too much.  I am also publishing the list of
recommended titles by state for my teachers.  It's been a great program
and my hope is to introduce students to new titles, make them aware of
US settings in the books they read, and to show them the power of the
internet.  We are a small 165-student independent school in rural VA
with grades Pre-K through 8th.  I will be happy to re-post my two
earlier HITS if  you have missed them and there is sufficient interest.=20
Otherwise, I will happily email the posts to individuals.  Thank you
again for all your help.  Becoming a member of this list is the single
greatest help I=92ve found in all my years of teaching (21) and being a
librarian (7).
Alabama - There's always 13 ALABAMA GHOSTS AND JEFFREY, by Katherine
Tucker Windham; and several books about prehistoric Alabama Indians
(IKWA OF THE MOUND BUILDER INDIANS, & CHARM OF THE BEAR CLAW NECKLACE)
by Margaret Searcy; The Watsons go to Birmingham 1963, by Christopher
Paul Curtis. The Alabama Angels & The Alabama Angels in Anywhere, L.A
(lower Alabama) by Mary Barwick;  One Big Front Porch/  Katherine Tucker
Windham. Mighty Close To Heaven/Faye Gibbons; Wiley and the Hairy Man /
Molly Bang Garrett

Alaska - JULIE OF THE WOLVES and the sequel JULIE by George;  WATER SKY
ALASKA (DON'T KNOW THE AUTHOR) THE SECRET MOOSE by Rogers; GOING FOR THE
BIG ONE by Petersen; PRINCE WILLIAM by Rand; GENTLE BEN by Morey;
Alaska's Three Bears/Shelly Gill; Polar Bear Journey and Caribou Journey
are both by Debbie Miller.  Raven and River by Nancy White Carlstrom,
and The Sleeping Lady by Ann Dixon.  Jack London's Call of the Wild.

Arizona - One book that takes place in Arizona is by an Arizonan, Don
Schellie. It's called Me, Cholay, & Co. : Apache Warriors. *Sing Down
the Rain* by Judy Moreillon (who is a school librarian). It is set on
the Tohono O'Odam reservation right outside Tucson.

California - CAT RUNNING by Snyder; Eight Mules From Monterey (author?)

Delaware - _Come Morning_ by Leslie Davis Guccione, a graduate of
Wilmington Friends School, is set in  Wilmington and the nearby PA
countryside.  The plot revolves around the help given runaway slaves by
free blacks and Quakers.  When 12-year-old Free's father is taken
captive by bountyhunters, he is left to ferry the runaways across the
border to freedom, a job much more challenging than he had ever
anticipated.

Florida - Missing Gator of Gumbo Limbo by Jean Craighead George

Georgia - TURN HOMEWARD HANNALEE by Beatty; IDA EARLY series by Burch;
Robert Burch wrote a book named "Queenie" and Doris Buchanan Smith wrote
"Blackberry Summer."BIG WORDS by Engel; A MONTH OF SEVEN DAYS by Climo;
Georgia Music by Stevenson

Illinois -  Running for Our Lives by Glennette Tilley Turner is about
escaping slaves and the Undergrounsd RR; CASSIE'S JOURNEY by Harvey
(this one starts in Illinois, where Cassie's family joins a wagon
train); Marion Bauer's On My Honor in which two boys take off beyond
their parents' limits. One dies in an Illinois River, and the friend has
to deal with the guilt of his loss. Irene Hunt's historical novel Across
Five Aprils; AbeLincoln Grows up or Prairie town boy by Carl Sandburg

Louisiana - Bill Wallace's Blackwater Swamp is set in the bayou and is a
wonderful book.  Students love it! The ghost of Bayou Tigre by Mary
Alice Fontenot.  The story of a young girl in South Louisiana who is
visiting relatives in the country and learns many of the customs
particular to this area.

Maine - WINTER BARN by Parnall; SIGN OF THE BEAVER by Speare; WORRY WEEK
by Lindbergh; BLUEBERRIES FOR SAL and TIME OF WONDER BURT DOW:
DEEP-WATER MAN, ONE MORNING IN MAINE by McCloskey; Donn Fendler:  Lost
on a mountain in Maine. As told to Joseph B. Egan ISBN 0912274603 This
is a true story of a boy who was lost on Katahdin in 1939 for 9 days.=20
by Barbara Cooney - MISS RUMPHIUS, and ISLAND BOY.  by Cherie Mason -
WILD FOX (winner of the annual Lupine Award, which was created in honor
of Barbara Cooney's Miss Rumphius); by Lew Dietz - THE STORY OF ANDRE
and A SEAL CALLED ANDRE (w/Harry Goodridge); by Ethel Pochocki - A PENNY
FOR A HUNDRED; Grass and Sky by Lisa Fraustino is set at a camp on a
lake in northern Maine.  It deals with environmental issues as well as
family communication between generations. The Original Freddie Ackerman_
by Hadley Irwin is set on Deer Isle? Or Blue Isle? Look for Me by
Moonlight_ by Mary Downing Hahn takes place at an inn on the coast. This
is a great story about a girl who moves to Maine to live with her
father and stepmother.  They run an inn on the coast of Maine.  It is
winter and desolate and there are no visitors at the inn - until a dark,
entrancing and mysterious stranger arrives who turns out to be a
vampire! It's a great story!

Maryland -  HEY-EY-EY, LOCK, ADVENTURE ON THE C&O CANAL by Fradin

Minnesota - THE WINTER ROOM by Paulsen; KIRSTEN series by Shaw; ON THE
BANKS OF PLUM CREEK by Wilder; Hassler, Six Miles to Pinecone (YA);
Hassler, Grand Opening; Anything else by Jon Hassler; Mary Higgins Clark
novel set in Minnesota is "A Cry in the Night."Our most well-known
Minnesota setting books are those by Maud Hart Lovelace.  They are the
BETSY-TACY, BETSY, TACY, AND TIB, etc. books set in a small town in the
early 20th century. Don=92t forget our own local author (and personal
friend) Gary Paulsen. (Winter Room, Tracker) Marion Dane Bauer - A Taste
of Smoke; Jane Resh Thomas - Courage at Indian Deep; Hassler, John -
Jemmy, Four Miles to Pinecone; Bowen, Betsy - Antler, Bear, Canoe;
Tracks in the Northwoods Barbara Esbenson has written, LADDER TO THE
SKY: HOW THE GIFT OF HEALING CAME TO THE OJIBWAY NATION which is a
32-pager with pictures.  Will Weaver has a good book out for grades 5
and up called STRIKING OUT set in northern Minnesota.

Mississippi - THE FRIENDSHIP and LET THE CIRCLE BE UNBROKEN Mississippi
Bridge; Song of the Trees; Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry;  by Taylor;
MISSISSIPPI POSSUM by Miles; Good Old Boy by Willie Morris or Good By My
Lady by James Street

Nevada -  Dragon's Gate by Laurence Yep. This story is about a Chinese
immigrant who works on the transcontinental railroad in Nevada.

New Hampshire -  MISS HICKORY by Bailey; A GATHERING OF DAYS by Blos
Picture books: Old Home Day, by Donald Hall, w/ pictures by the McCully
who did the Caldecott-winning Mirette ( a must-have for the library!)
Lucy's Summer and Lucy's Christmas, by Donald Hall (about his
grandmother's girlhood in Danbury); Ox-Cart Man by D. Hall; also a
picture book about his boyhood summers in the early '40's on his
grandmother's NH farm --can't remember exact title); Pianna, by Mary Lyn
Ray; Easy historical Fiction: Hannah's Fancy Notions, by Pat Ross.=20
Gathering of Days by Joan Bloss.

New Jersey - This time, Tempe Wick by Gauch is set in NJ, based on a
real life spunky New Jersey girl during the Revolution, who hid her
horse  in her bedroom from both the Americans and the British.

New Mexico - AND NOW MIGUEL by Krumgold; Billy by Laura Roybal. This a
story about a teenager named Billy who lives in New Mexico with his
father and discovers that he was actually kidnapped by his father from
his adoptive parents.  The one who came back by Joann Mazzio
This is the story of two best friends who go hiking in the mountains of
New Mexico and only one of them returns.  There is much speculation as
to what happened to the other boy and the one who came back is blamed
for his disappearance. New Mexico try Kokopelli's Flute by Will Hobbs.
The Illinois state contender for the Rebecca Caudill Young Readers' Book
Award Contest has the main character discovering an old flute in a cliff
dwelling. Through its power he discovers experience with ancient Native
American magic.  Farolitos of Christmas by Rudolfo Anaya;
Grandmother's Adobe Dollhouse by Marylou Smith

North Dakota - BY THE SHORES OF SILVER LAKE by Wilder;  Sacagawea:
Indian Guide by Wyatt Blassingame published by Garrard Publising Co.,
1965. Under This Roof by Borghild Dahl; Dutton; 1961 (about a Norwegian
ND prairie family in which a young girl must act as head of the
household after the mother dies.) The Snowbird by Patricia Calvert; New
American Library; 1982.  (One of 1980's Best Books for Young Adults
chosen by the American Library Assn.  This book is set in Dakota
Territory in 1883 and involves the relationship between an orphaned
teenager and her silverwhite foal, Snowbird.  Boots and Saddles by Mrs.
Elizabeth Custer; Oklahoma Press, 1961(pro-Custer account of life in
Dakota Territory by Custer's wife who describes life at Ft. Abraham
Lincoln);  Marquis de Mores: Emperor of the Bad Lands by Donald Dresden;
U of Oklahoma Press; 1970;  The Lawrence Welk Story by A. Govoni; Simon
& Schuster; 1966(young adult nonfiction about Welk's life);  Wings Over
Alaska by Edward Herron; Englewood Cliffs; 1959 (biography of Carl Ben
Eielson who soared to fame as a pioneer of Alaskan aviation and air mail
service); White Buffalo by Lyla Hoffine; Longmans, Green & Co; 1939=20
(story about the Teton Sioux); The Bones of Plenty by Lois Phillips
Hudson; Minnesota Historical Society Press; 1984 (absorbing novel about
a proud, independent North Dakota wheat-farming family and its struggles
during the Depression);  Reapers of the Dust: A Prairie Chronicle by
Lois Phillips Hudson; Little, Brown; 1964 (short stories);  Prairie
School by Lois Lenski; J.B. Lippincott Co; 1951  (story of the Great
Blizzard of 1949);  Gopher Tails for Papa; Lanterns Over the
Prairies--Books I and II; Boy From Johnny Butte; Stone Johnny School;
The Tiger-Lily Year.  These books are all by Erling Rolfsrud and
published by Lantern Books in Alexandria, MN.   Medora by Zdena Trinka;
First Award Books; 1948  (about the Marquis de Mores.  Trinka is one of
ND's most noted and famous authors.)  Teddy, Saga of the Badlands by
Zdena Trinka; International Books;1958 (period of Theodore Roosevelt's
life spent in ND);  Out Where the West Begins by Zdena Trinka; Pioneer
Company; 1920. (early romantic history of ND); Beyond the Bedroom Wall
by Larry Woiwode; Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 1975  (novel about the lives
of three generations of the Neumiller family in North Dakota and
Illinois areas);The Checkered Years by Mary Dodge Woodward; Cass Co.
Historical Society; ND  (diaries of the Bonanza Farms of early
ND)        American Daughter by Era Bell Thompson; Chicago Press; 1946
(autobiography devoted mostly to her ND experience as a minority)

Oklahoma -Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls. Story is set
during the Depression and tells from a boy's earnest desire to obtain
two hunting dogs to the responsiblity and care they give each other.

Pat Barnhardt, Librarian
Grymes Memorial School
Orange, VA
barnhardt@ns.gemlink.com

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/