This is my final post.  Thanks again!

Ohio - Weasel by Cynthia De Felice; The Borning Room by Paul Fleischman
BELLS OF CHRISTMAS by Hamilton; Walk two moons by Creech.  Story starts
in Ohio.  Out of the storm    by Patricia Willis; M.C. Higgins the great
by Virginia Hamilton; Dr. Gravity by Dennis Haseley

Oregon - most of Beverly Cleary=92s books (Ramona and Henry live on
Klickitat St. in Portland); Avi=92s The Barn; Evelyn Sybil lampham wrote
many books with Oregon settings. =20

Pennsylvania -Night Journeys by Avi.  Set in the late 1770's, it is the
story of two young indentured servants who make their escape with the
help of Quakers in Bucks County. TROUBLE AT THE MINES by Rappaport.=20
Rosie and her family are caught up in the Arnot, PA mining strike of
1899-1900 led by Mother Jones.  BEYOND THE DIVIDE by Lasky.  Starts in
Pa in 1849, with an Amish girl who leaves behind the rest of her family
to go west with her father who JUST PLAIN FANCY by Polacca.  An Amish
girl is horrifies when a hen egg hatches into a fancy bird. The Cabin
Faced West by Jean Fritz; Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli  (set in the
Philadelphia area); I am Regina by Sally Keehn  (settler taken captive
by Native Americans); Maggie Among the Seneca by Robin Moore (same
idea); The Bread Sister of Sinking Creek by Robin Moore  (Pennslyvania
settlers); The Cherry Tree Buck by Robin Moore (animal stories from
Central PA); The story of Punxsutawney Phil by Julia S. Moutran=20
(Groundhog Day)=20

South Dakota - You can get a feel for our state's history by reading
Laura Ingalls Wilder's book "Little town on the prairie".  The little
town referred to in the title is De Smet, SD, which is 9 miles from my
own home town of Lake Preston.  De Smet holds an outdoor pageant every
summer based on incidents from one of Laura's books.  There is also a
museum and a walking tour of places in the town which are referred to in
her book.  Be sure to stop and visit us if you come to our part of the
midwest!  By the Shores of Silver Lake, LONG WINTER, HAPPY GOLDEN YEARS,
THE FIRST FOUR YEARS by Wilder; THE CAVE by Karr; Black-eyed Susan by
Jennifer Armstrong; My prairie year, by Brett Harvey; the Addie stories
by Laurie Lawlor; Hugh Glass, Mountain Man, by Robert McClung

Texas - Don't scream by Joan Lowery Nixon--Another excellent mystery
that takes place in Texas - quite a lot of setting description.

Utah - THE GREAT BRAIN series by Fitzgerald

West Virginia - MISSING MAY by Rylant; SLOPES OF WAR by Perez; SHILOH by
Naylor; Summer of the Swans by Betsy Byars

Wyoming -  My Friend Flicka_ and _The Green Grass of Wyoming_by Mary
O'Hara; Dangerous Ground_ by Gloria Skurzynski; Red Dog_ by Bill
Wallace; Jenny of the Tetons_ by Kristiana Gregory; The Absolutely True
Story of How I Visited Yellowstone...."_by Willow Davis
Roberts                                      =20
The Virginian_ by Owen Wister; And, much of _Little Big Man_ by Thomas
Berger

Pat Barnhardt, Librarian
Grymes Memorial School
Orange, VA
barnhardt@ns.gemlink.com

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/