Could I add my support to the views expressed by Gary Hartzell. It is an
approach that I have been advocating and promoting for several years in the
UK.

We are faced with a similar set of professional circumstances to our
colleagues in the USA. The 'bottom-up' approach to changing attitudes has
merit, and is perhaps more in tune with the 'service' approach we share to
what we do, but, in practical terms, it is of limited effect. Yes, we may
influence one or two people each year in our immediate circle, and that of
itself is good, but the overall effect is too scatter-shot.

The way to affect real and lasting change is to try to influence those that
make the policy and those that hold the purse strings - and those that
influence those that make the policy and hold the purse strings - the
'top-down' approach.

For some years now, I have been lobbying the UK government on this issue,
responding to relevent government proposals and documents, joining
professional voluntary organisations and urging them to respond (and to
speak with one voice !), maintaining current awareness, raising questions
and tabling proposals, and, of course, keeping up morale ! The previous
administration was decidedly unresponsive. However, to date, the current
adminstration has shown a willingness to listen and some small progress has
been made.

I do not expect attitudes to change overnight - they are too well entrenched
and there are many unconscious vested interests working against us (e.g. the
teachers' lobby - who would be the first to be offended by my suggesting
this is the case, but when faced with the choice of funding a part-time
teacher or a librarian will opt for the teacher every time ! - a crude
example, I know, but a valid one, none the less). However, once the value of
the profession is recognised officially, at national, state, federal level,
then it is my firm belief that things can only improve.

So can I add my voice to Gary's and urge you all to do what you can to
influence the policy makers. Recent events in Canada have shown just how
vital this can be.

Thanks for reading this. My appologies if it is long.

Graham Small
The Library Doctor
UK

grahams@libdoc.demon.co.uk
www.libdoc.demon.co.uk

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/