Hello everyone,

Thank you to all who responded ...

I opened the new issue of School Library Media Activities Monthly (Dec 97),
and there is an article "Dewey Call Numbers" by Kathy Sommers.

OK - here goes:

- place tubs of books with books from each Dewey section in them around
  library.  Have groups of 2/3 go to each tub, try to see how they are
related.
  Brainstorm common topic.(Tell them to look at label, title page, etc)

- four people suggested I go with the plan I used with 5th graders:
  Introduce Dewey via Cave Man chart - then have them go to the shelves
  to find various call numbers I had preprinted on mock book spine labels
  (laminated poster board strips with reasable marker letters/numbers)
  One person suggested emphasizing the call no. is the address:  top line=
  neighborhood, 2nd line = where in neighborhood book lives.  Younger ones
  can put mock spine labels in order, with ea. child getting group of 4
labels.
  (Different sets for fiction, non fiction)

- Spine label relay race:  introcuce Dewey, show where located
                                    divide into 2 teams. Half the labels in
red, half in
                                        green
                                    members of each team go to shelf, find
book, leave
                                         spine label, return to table, tap
next team member
                                    team w/most correct at end of time period
wins (candy, etc)
                                    do same with ficiton books.

- sing Dewey categories to "ten Little Indians" before each mini lesson on
one
  category.   I didn't copy words to song - as singing is not my forte.  If
you
  are interested, I have e-mail address of person suggesting this.

- talk about what numbers mean:
  700 = art and rec
  790 = rec
  796 = outdoor sports
  796.3 = sports w/ ball
  796.33 = sports w/ball and foot

- worksheet w 100's - what subject is it, blanks for title/author
  When selecting books, browse non-fiction - find book about topic they
didn't
  know we had books about.  End of class, go around, share that.

- write own Dewey rap!!

Lots of creative ideas here...

Regards,

Renee Menzie, LMS
Haldane Elem School
Cold Spring, NY
rjmenzie@aol.com

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/