I don't teach Dewey in isolation to my Sixth graders any more (much to their
relief).  I only incorporate the information about Dewey to students as I
work with them individually finding a book etc.  I find that they have had
Dewey overkill in the earlier Elementary library classes.  The Dewey Decimal
system is information that they can quickly find in the library from the
posters and shelf markers that I have displayed.  Also, all libraries do not
use the Dewey system.  I never felt the need to understand the Library of
Congress system when I was an undergraduate even though my college library
used it, and the librarians certainly didn't teach it.  I worked in a public
Library for a few years and not one patron question referred to a specific
Dewey number unless the information was directly from the card catalog or
OPAC.
I prefer to spend library class time discussing the value of reading, the
Reader's Bill of Rights, and finding out what the students want to read.
 This approach is information that I hope that students can walk away with
and continue to use in their life-long learning.  Fifth and Sixth grade can
be tumultuous times when students have to choose between reading their
textbooks and reading for their own pleasure.  Many students loose the joy of
Reading during their early Jr. High years, if they have discovered it at all.
  I find it is our mission to remind them as best we can that Reading is
something they should enjoy and cherish.
nancy Thackaberry
nthackaber@aol.com
Catskill Middle School
Catskill NY

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/