Tothe many who are interested, these are the responses that I got for a
magazine maintenace program.  Righton Programs has a program which is
pretty much what I'm looking for, but the price is pretty steep for a
fairly simple database.  You can download a sample from their web site if
anyone wants to check it out.  I'm still not sure what I'm going to do
yet.  Thanks to  all who responded.  This listserv never ceases to amaze
me.

Shari Johnson
lucyfan@juno.com
Felix V. Festa Middle School
30 Parrott Road
West Nyack, NY 10964

Do you a subscription service to order magazines?  I use EBSCO and they
are terrific.  One of the services they offer is providing individual
copies of magazines for review/preview purposes.  Call your supplier if
you have one.
______

We maintain our subscriptions with our Alexandria progam.

------
I don't use a computer program like you suggest however I do create a
spreadsheet and check in manually that way.  I print it in landscape
mode so I can fit all months on one sheet.  I put it in a file folder
that we use daily for check in.  It's not as cumbersome as the books and
I still think it is easier then the computer programs would be.  At the
end of the year I just make changes to the existing file and print out a
new one.

------
W. T. Cox, an EBSCO like company, has a program called ACCESS, which I'm
trying out this week.  I'll try to remember to send you information, but
if I forget, email a reminder to me.
__________

I just use a database set up in Microsoftworks.  I create columns for
title,
location (elementary school or high school), renewal (fall or spring),
and
then the months (Sept., Oct, etc.).  I have sometimes also created a
column for frequency (monthly, bi-monthly, etc.).  Theses columns can
be sorted alphabetically, queries can be created to pull out only
subscriptions for a certain school, and reports can be created with any
combination of columns that is appropriate.  And best of all, if you
already use Microsoftworks, there's no additional cost!

-------

Although our library uses the SIRSI Unicorn automation system, the
periodicals section is part of the acquisitions module and not the best
(there are no weekly/monthly/quarterly screens for checkin).  As a
result, our periodicals librarian uses Serial Control System.  It started
out as a stand-alone for periodicals/serials only, but is now part of an
integrated system; it will still work on its own, however.    The man who
designed it is married to a librarian, and he very wisely listened to his
wife when she explained what libraries needed/wanted!  Smart man!   ;-)
 I don't get into the checkin part, but I'm told the screens are well
designed and easy to use.   We have the lookup part networked, and we
often check it while on reference duty; this too is easy to use.
-------

I just use a Clarisworks spreadsheet to track magazines.

-------
I don't use a program but would be very interested.  I currently use the
same system you have but it is archaic!
is
the program to do the job you need.   Best wishes, David Farren, VP

Right OnPrograms.

Web Site:   www.rightonprograms.com
----------
The Alexandria Automation program includes a system for recording
magazines, as well as entering them into the card catalog with or without
analytics. Very neat. Not much comfort if your system does not include
such a feature,or if you are not automated, but it can be done.
We have also used a regular spread sheet to keep such records before
automation.

---------

Are you automated in your library?  If not, you might consider CASPR; it
contains a periodicals module, if I remember correctly.
Other than that, I don't know, but I would like to, if you find out about
anything really interesting!

Microsoft Works for the Mac.  You could use any
data base program. My columns are headed:
Title
N (for North campus)
S (for South campus)
I (for indexed in Reader's Guide)
then one column for each month
E (for when expired)
Cost (for one issue)

You can add anything that you need for your record keeping.

  We made up our own database, using Microsoft Works,  listing the
     magazines and providing spaces to mark the dates. We created
separate
     ones for monthly and weekly - just to make it easier to make the
     little spaces. We printed up copies of each and put them into a
     binder.

     Periodically (no pun intended) my aide, who is primarily responsible

     for magazines, enters the little check mark in the appropriate
spaces
     on the computer and then prints up a new copy to put into the
binder.

     It works for us and is so much less cumbersome than that weird book
     with the cards.

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/