I too have been very interested in this thread. I agree that the process of
shelving books provides valuable opportunities for "learning" the collection,
weeding, assessing book condition etc. I also agree that my education and
experience are not used to the optimum if I do too much shelving and other
clerical or book preparation chores. I am most worth my salary when I am
teaching, guiding research, evaluating materials for purchase, and keeping
teachers informed about ways in which our resources can assist them and their
students.

However, I have found out that most people in our building have no idea what
I do. Those teachers who use the library certainly do and they can't thank me
enough. But others do not understand. They have asked my aide, who is in the
library only 4 and half periods the a day (9 per. day), "What do you do up
there? Aren't you bored? When I am not teaching or assisting students
directly I am at my desk doing things like accessioning books, checking over
cards for new books, (no, we are not automated), writing letters, reading
reviews, updating bibliographies, preparing reasearch activity related sheets
for students, preparing library bulletins, etc., etc. But this "seat work",
if you will, does not look like much to those who look in and see me at the
desk and only a handful of students in the library. How is it that they never
seem to come when the library is filled to overflowing?

In short, I shelve books for the reasons mentioned above but also for its PR
value. In addition, sometimes I think that even my aide does not fully
appreciate my "seat work". If she is working hard on her chores which she has
only limited time for, I think it makes points with her if I pitch in and do
a little shelving. This activity also allows me to circulate in the library
when there are a lot of students in such a way that I can check on what they
are doing without being a pest.

Staffing

I believe that a significant factor in this question is staffing. A few weeks
back a job was posted on the list for a middle school library with 2
full-time librarians, 1 clerk and a library assistant. I requested info twice
on the size of the student body and the circulation but got no response. Our
school of 500 has one full-time librarian, one half-time clerk. Collection
size is 10,500 - circulation is 6,500 per year. In the months of Sept. and
Oct. of this year there were 3,000 student visits to the library. PLEASE
SHARE YOUR STAFF AND CIRC STATS WITH ME if you are in a middle school.

Many thanks, Hildegard N. Pleva
Linden Avenue Middle School, Red Hook, New York
hpleva@aol.com

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/