We are certainly in the right racket for arcane symbology.  I, for the
sake of this message Agent X2, shall now use K.I.S.S. to describe Z39.50.

[please note that the final S. refers only to my humble self..]

Z39.50 is a flexible standard or protocol for sharing electronic
information via automated catalogs.  Many automation vendors now offer it,
and others are coming on board.  It does this by allowing users of one
Z39.50 software, say Mandarin, to connect with an OPAC running another
Z39.50 platform, say Winnebago, and search it using the Mandarin commands.
This is possible because both are compliant with the standard.  This is
done via the Internet usually, and requires some preparatory setup on both
ends.

There are other ways to use it.  OCLC Site Search can be configured to
connect with a group of Z39.50 libraries, all previously configured allow
Z39.50 access, and run the same search on all the catalogs the software
has connections with simulataneously.  So instead of logging into 20
college libraries and searching, you could do it once from a central
point.

Dynix Scholar's WebPAC meets the standard, and will allow users to access
linked Z39.50 catalogs with a standard web interface, albeit singly.

The key point is that the software on both ends must be compliant, and
each must be configured to allow the access, which I think is usually done
by IP address and other internal internet security stuff.

I have never used Z39.50 myself, but will be purchasing Dynix WebPAC soon
so I do know a little about it.  [A little knowledge is a dangerous
thing..]

This is my understanding of it at this time.  Perhaps a more enlightened
soul out there can expand upon this and correct it as needed.

Angus G. Saunders, Jr.                               saunders@northnet.org
Jefferson Lewis BOCES SLS Director;      BOCES, Rt. 12, Glenfield NY 13343
315 376 6501                                              fax 315 376 3376

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/