Dear LM_NETTERS
In the short time that I have been a member of this listserv I have received so
many valuable ideas from you that thought I would like to share something from
South Africa.

I instituted a reading project with my Grade 8 classes this year called
"Passport to Reading". The aim of the project was to foster a love of reading,
to improve reading habits and to introduce the pupils to titles and authors
they might not otherwise choose to read.

I will try to briefly describe the implementation of the project and then list
some pros and cons.

Books were divided into genres: Classics; Fantasy/Science Fiction;
Thriller/Crime; Supernatural/Horror; War/Historical; Relationships; Animal
Stories; Multi-Cultural;Survival/Adventure; Sporting Stories.  I selected
between 12 and 25 titles for each of these categories ranging from easy readers
to more challenging titles.  I awarded points to each title between 3 and 12
depending on the length and reading level of each title.  These titles were
printed out on each side of 2 A4 sheets.

The pupils were given their normal reading age tests and according to the
points scored in these tests I then gave them a handicap.  If they were average
age their handicap was 0; if 5 points under average age their handicap was +
10; if 5 points over then - 10 and so on.

Each pupils was given
 1. a double-sided A3 sheet.  The front cover was decorative and had their name
on it. Th centre part listed the categories with space for titles read,
comments and signatures and the back listed the rules.
2. their own bookmark bearing the logo of the project
3.  a list of the books.

I pulled all the books on the list from the shelves and arranged them on top of
a low bookshelf clearly labelled within their categories.

Rules:
1.  They had to read a minimum of 6 books from 6 different genres by 6
different authors.
2.  The genres Classics, Relationships and Multi-Cultural were compulsory and
they could then choose from any of the other categories.
3.  When they had completed a book they had to discuss it with their English
teacher, myself or their tutor.  This person should be satisfied that they had
read and understood the book, write down a few comments on their sheets and
sign the sheet.
4.  The objective was to score a total of 60 points in order to qualify for a
reading certificate.  Depending on their handicaps and the books they chose
some would have to read more than 6 books but 6 was the minimum.
5.  When they achieved 60 points they gave a presentation to the class briefly
telling them about the books they had read and benefits, if any, that they had
derived from the project.
6.   A Reading Certificate was then presented to them by the headmaster at a
school assembly.  Their housemaster was asked to grant them some small
privilege in their house.
7.  The exercise ran over a period of 4 months.

Pros:
1.  The weaker readers benefitted from being able to select a title from
amongst a far smaller quantity of books - they were not confused by too large a
selection.
2.  Undoubtedly some pupils who had previously made little to no time for
reading started reading again.
3.  They all read and enjoyed books they claimed they would never have chosen
if they had not been part of the exercise.
4.  All of us were surprised at the extent of enjoyment for the Classics
selection - the Puffin Classics Series was particularly successful with this
age group.  Many of them said how much they had actually enjoyed Robin Hood or
Peter Pan and had never read these themselves before.
5.  In discussing books with the pupils one became involved in many one on one
discussions and these were very beneficial in getting to know the pupils and
allowing them to feel they were getting the benefit of your complete attention
for a while.
6.  I feel far more attuned to their reading tastes and have a better feel for
the books geared to that age level.
7.  Staff were asked to give support to the exercise and to encourage the
pupils to read their project books when they had finsihed work in the
classroom.  By involving the whole staff in the exercise (all staff members act
as tutors to some boys from this group) they felt part of it and supported the
reading ethos.
8.  Those with low handicaps (poor reading ages) were the most determined to
prove their ability and strove to manage the more difficult books and achieve
their points.

Cons:
1.  Quite a few of the pupils resented being forced to read from the selection
I chose.  Next year we have decided to allow them to have a book of their own
choice approved by us if they wish to do this and it falls into one of the
genres.
2.  A number of them felt they would like non-fiction included.
3.  Some of the more advanced readers felt they were a bit above this and
didn't need encouragement to read.  Should one make it compulsory?
4.  Quite a few commented that they were frustated by finding an author they
enjoyed and then not having the opportunity to read more of those titles.
5.  The book presentations were quite demanding on my time and those of the
English teacher.

On the whole I am convinced that the project benefittd a large proportion of
the pupils and has fostered a good reading habit amongst them.  Whether or not
this will be carried into their Grade 9 year remains to be seen.

This could be adapted for any age group and titles selected accordingly.  I
also made out written sheets for each genre which asked some quetion relevant
to that genre and some of them presented their books in this way. In junior
classes one could consider some sort of 'ladder of progress' in the classroom.

----
Peta Ward : Librarian
Hilton College Library, Private Bag 6001,Hilton,3245
Kwazulu Natal, South Africa
Tel:(027) 0331-430100       Fax:(027) 0331-430080
e-mail:petaw@iafrica.com   http://www.hilton.kzn.school.za

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/