Hi
I have been asked to post a hit on my question about copy machines. I never
did this before, and I hope it works. Thanks to everyone who responded. I am
leaving names off.
My husband
 who's in the copier business
 suggests you stay with a small dealer for youe needs.  The big ones will
overwhelm you with legal mumbo jumbo.  Depending on where you are in NYC
there is a good dealer on Long Island who may be able to work with you.  Call
Frank Cisino at the Copy Store  516-293-3937.  On the cost per copy side.
 Don't pay more than 3cents per copy.

We recently purchased a Konica copy machine.  Our district purchased 3
at a time so we got a special price of about $2300.  We charge $.10
a copy which gives us a small profit which will cover paper and
maintenance costs, we think.  It was kind of a large chunk at one time
but it should last a long time.  We get a lot of use out of it here.
Thanks to LM_NET postings last year we have a copy machine (but costs 10
cents per copy) for which we pay NOTHING.  The suppliers are the same
people who provide machines to drug stores and grocery stores (contact
your local stores for names of their suppliers).  They bring the machine,
provide paper, toner, service, and collect the money. We even get 200 free
copies each month.  This is much superior to our former "lease" system for
which we paid a "service contract" of over $1000 a year AND supplied the
paper, toner, and another expensive cartridge. Our revenues only paid half
the costs. You might be able to find
one of those 5-cent machines, but the ones I've used at a local store
produce terrible quality copies.  I really urge you to check out suppliers
such as I describe.
We have a copy machine in the library that we have had for about 8-10 years.
 It is leased from Xerox, costs .10 per copy for students, and will do
enlarging and reducing but nothing else that is fancy.  We also have a bypass
key for library staff.  It is the only one for student use in our school.  We
collect more money from the students than our monthly contract costs.
 Although I was not the person who negotiated the contract, I believe that we
could not get one without a contract.  Whether there was upfront money I
don't know.  For our monthly fee (minimum usage category as far as Xerox is
concerned), we pay $144.00 and we never come close to going over what they
count as the maximum number of copies for that fee.  We can have service
anytime we need it for no additional charge.  The need for this varies
enormously.  We have needed no service now for almost a year, but last fall
the service man was out 8-10 times in the first 2 months of school.  It works
well for us.  On an ongoing basis, it is self-supporting, and we are able to
put aside the extra income toward whatever copier needs we may have in the
future.  (This is done through an on-going petty cash account within our
building that is just for this machine.)

You've no doubt heard, but in case no one's had a chance to respond, many
business supply companies are willing to place their own coin operated
machines in school libraries...no contract, no maintenance, no paper, etc;
they handle it all. The only effort involved is keeping and supplying change
for the kids with bills.
Our school is across the street from the public library, so I pushed for a
contract with the copy company supplier for them, and now we have a machine
that uses the debit cards in use at the PL as well as taking coins--very
popular with our students.  Copies are 15c by coin, 12c by card, however,
hardly the 5c/copy your admin wants.
THANKS AGAIN
Marie Rodgers
Frederick Douglass Academy
NYC
Jazzcat365@aol.com

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/