Here's the HIT.  I hope you all had a wonderful holiday weekend!!! BTW, I
don't know how to cut and paste, so I'm typing the responses myself.  ANy
mistakes are all mine, not the people who responded to my question.

A globe (2-dimensional) and paperdolls cut out of brown paper.  Students
colored/decorated the dolls and we put them all around the globe and on
the wall with appropriate title:  Christmas:  Season of love, or
something like that.

I think anything you do with the kids pictures is great!

Season's Readings, in Old English font

Why don't you make your door into a book so that people can come up to it
and read, say, The Night Before Christmas.  You could glue the pages
together on one end and use some velcro on the other so the pages won't
flap around.

Christmas quilt with squares being about books.

Little elves in hot air balloons, throwing out snowballs with titles of
books....BOMBING THOSE BELOW!!!  Bomb with books!!!

On the door itself, kids made a fairly typical snow scene on the inside
of the open door.  We extended it across the door opening by getting
fishing line and tying paper snowflakes down the line.  We attached about
15 of these llines from the to pof the door in such a way that the door
could still close.  Each line had tons of snowflakes running down.  Kids
could each make snowflakes and write a book title and favorite author on
the finished flake.

I would lean toward a pun...look at greeting cards with a seasonal
message.

I'm in the same boat.  I'm planning on a tree on the doors.  We will use
the color copy machine to copy book covers and cut them like ornaments.

HOw about something using the 12 days of Christmas?  (5 mysteries, 4
fantasies, 3 trilogies, 2 biographies, and a Webster's Unabridged
Dictionary...)

Slogan:  A book is a gift you can open again and again.  Maybe decorate
your door as one gigantic book...so everytime someone opens the door,
they open a book...again and again

Well, I think the best new book this year for middle school is THE GOLDEN
COMPASS by Pullman.  It is set in Antarctica and besides the compass it
has bears wearing vests.  Ithink it could be an outstanding door.

WHEW!  That's it!  Aren't the ideas GREAT?  I can't wait until tomorrow
to get started.  I'll post another message to let you all know what I
decided!!!

Later-
Marcia

--
Marcia M. Norris
Teacher, Language Arts

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/