Here are the remaining quotes from messages received in answer to my problem

I give out around 8 library passes each to most upper grade teachers.
They may send a small group of students(bearing these passes) to the
library without warning on the condition that it is independent work
only i.e. the students are not to demand assistance or supervision - if by
good fortune we can help, we do - but if we are busy we remind the student
that a library pass is for independent workers only. This usually has the
desired effect and the child ends up helping themselves quite ably -  the
teachers should be planning with you and giving you some warning if they
are expecting assistance with locating/selecting information let alone the
more advanced methodologies! You're right to ask for warning, if you always
say 'yes' the 'doormat' effect takes place
                                                ---
My schedule is on a clipboard and only I write on it. When a teacher signs
up, we discuss the dates and what they will be doing so I can prepare.
                                                ---
I absolutely must have at lease one period each day as a prep time.  This
is more than reasonable since every teacher in my school gets two periods
each day for prep and planning.
                                                ---
So insist on forward bookings - it makes planning so much easier - warm and
friendly as we are, it doesn't harm to develop a touch of Conan the
Librarian occasionally!
                                                ---
My teachers (9-12 high school) must sign up by 3:00 of the
day before to bring a class to the library.  This is the
absolute latest I will accept a class.  I tell them I have
to plan for classes coming in, and I map out my day the
night before.  I also adjust numbers I'll accept from lunches
and studyhalls depending on the size of the class coming in and
how much staffing I have.  This needs to be arranged ahead of
time, so I must know by the close of the school day before.
If a teacher expects me to pull books, prepare a lesson, type
up a handout, etc., I may need more time.  My rule of thumb is
that any teacher can send down up to 3 kids with a pass at
any given time; anything more than that requires prior
arrangements.  I NEVER allow teachers to bring a class in
the same day, even if it would not really be a problem for
me.  Once you allow it, it will become expected and you will
be taken advantage of.  And on the rare occasions when
teachers ask to bring kids in the same day, it's never a
case of "a teachable moment."  It's always been a case of
not being prepared on their part.
                                                ---
We insist, and have for many years that a class does not come to the
library unless booked in 24 hours ahead, and we know the topic beforehand,
what is expected of the librarian, in terms of help, resources etc.  You,
as librarian have your day planned as well, and you are entitled to
complete the jobs you planned to do. Unless you stand up for yourself,
teachers will constantly take advantage of you.  It's your library, and I'm
sure your head
would support you. You've been given the responsibility of running the
place and spending a budget, making decisions on technology etc, you are
entitled to decide how much notice you need so you can rearrange your day.
There will be some exceptions, and that's when you get to be Mr Nice Guy.

Don't feel guilty, the school is a team, or should be.  Reverse the roles
and you turn up unannounced and disrupt their day and see how they feel.
                                                ---
I explain at the beginning  of the year that if we teachers expect our
students to plan ahead we  should model that behavior.  I also explain that
if I have advance  preparation time I can prepare the information for the
class.  If I  have no warning, they take what they can find!
                                                ---
If lack of respect for the TLs time and professional status happens
frequently with particular teachers perhaps an offer of a skills lesson
might work.
                                                ---
Teachers will complain at first, but let them know that THEIR
FAILURE TO PLAN IS NOT YOUR EMERGENCY!!!!
                                                ---
Make sure next year at the first faculty meeting, that you let everyone
know your procedures.  AND BE FIRM.
 If you are not firm, they will walk all over you!  I think that teachers
often don't know what we do, so they think that we can do a great lesson in
no time and deal with 3 requests at once. We can not.  If someone asked
THEM to do what they expect you to do, they would balk and call the union.
                                                ---
1. The LMT is not available for classes that have not been cooperately
planned with both the LMT and the teacher. Make sure you are real busy and
stick to your guns. If a teacher refuses to plan a cooperative lesson then
you will not be able to do justice to your teaching of literacy skills.

2. LOCK up your schedule, some little elves always seem to find you missing
when they come in to schedule classes.

3. I have found it helpful to relate to game terms when explaining the
problems of insufficient planning in relation to success in the library.
                                                ---
I think that the ability to book ahead, and the fact that the library is
often not available unless they do so, is a great incentive.
                                                ---
If staff however want info lit lesson, resources put aside, bookmarks,
literature searchers etc I demand 3 days notice. It has taken awhile but it
now is working much better. I put to them at the beginning of each term,
reissue library and info services guides for teachers, and I'm constantly
reminding them that this is the best way I can give them what they want and
it is professional courtesy . I'm not tough or mean i'm just asking like
you for consideration as a school colleague.
                                                ---
Staff at our school may book in at any time. We have 3 people on staff in
the library and we have a roster for desk duty, so that we each have an
opportunity to get other things done. 2 classes are permitted in the
library  at the one time, if any other students or teachers wish to use the
library when it is fully booked we send them back to their class. They soon
learn to     sbook in advance.

Brian Ralph
Teacher-Librarian
St Agnes High School                                    A 7-10 Catholic School
Rooty Hill 2766                                   in the Western Suburbs of
AUSTRALIA                                               Sydney, Australia
bralph @ zeta.org.au
http://www.zeta.org.au/~stagnesh/infocent.html

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/