Thankyou for your messages of sympathy and support.  There were nearly 50
from members of both LM_NET and OZTL_NET.
I am trying to reply individually to each of them but am also compiling a
Hit in two parts for everyone as some requested.
Everyone was supportive of my request for 24 hours notice and 9am cut off
point for class bookings but a few also stressed the need to provide a
service to teachers with which I think we would all agree. There must be a
compromise somewhere. I have notified the teachers and refused to last
minute requests last week. I intend making it much cleare at the beginning
of next year (we have nearly finished in Australia).
I am just providing some quotes - my apologies if you feel I have neglected
your reply.
                                                ---
Perhaps you can block out some time for some of the functions you have to
perform.  I just sign the book as if I were a classroom teacher.  This
isn't my preferred method of operation, but it is sometimes necessary-
                                                ---
I think closing the library for a small part of each day  would be a good
short term solution, particularly if you can use it to make teachers
understand that you must have time to do basic library administration, and
certainly do not accept any last minute arrivals unless it suits you.
NO! is a useful word.
But of course more important is to get your principal onside, ask for the
opportunity to run some PD sessions about the role of the Library,
information skills etc.and get the teachers themselves to think about the
whole concept.
                                                ---
Don't your teachers have to make lesson plans and turn them in?  If
plans are due to the office by Friday of the week before, then they can
schedule their visits then.  I think you are being more than reasonable by
9:00 of the day of the visit.  I use a planning sheet that the teacher must
fill out and give to me by Friday of the week before the planned vist.
What do they want their class to do, what instruction do they need from me,
what is the purpose of the vist, what new materials should we have, was the
visit successful are questions on the form.
  I have found that the teachers who want to come to the library on a
moments notice, do not have very good plans and organization and also have
no appreciation for what we need to do to keep the library running. Let
them plan ahead.
                                                ---
One of the best ways to overcome this is to have prepared small, formal
paper or cardboard cards with the school's letterhead or logo at the top to
appear businesslike and with the following message on them.(followed by an
example with various tick boxes and reasons why the request could not be
granted)
                                                ---
although teachers always sign up in advance to bring
entire classes to the library, I often have 5-10 students wandering in the
library to find a book, take a test, finish research, locate a map, etc.
I don't think there is anything that can be done about that, and I
wouldn't want to!  I want to make the library as open and accessible as
possible.  And that's the tough balance - to make the library open and
accessible, but to retain YOUR sanity!
                                                ---
It you are teaching skills to these classes I can understand you being
annoyed by late notification; your staff need some education if this is
happening all the time.
I am of the opinion that the library is a service within the school
community and am therefore totally against the idea of teachers needing to
give 24hrs. notice to use the service.
                                                ---
I don't have a place where teachers can leave their forms--they
have to put them into my hand.  That gives me a chance to work with them on
what I can do for their students.  I record all reservations in a regular
plan book, always in pencil to allow for changes.  If no class is scheduled
to come in, I pencil in the work I plan to do.
                                                ---
Good luck with your request. I think it is reasonable but I would not ask
it since I am trying to encourage teachers to use the library and when they
appear suddenly, I can often corner them and set up a planning time for
their next unit!!
                                                ---
As for classes turning up unannounced or on very short notice, my answer to
their teacher is yes, you can come, but I am not avaliable to help you if
you come at such short notice.
                                                ---
Teachers sign up to bring in classes through ME.  I ask that they give me 2
- 3 days notice which they usually respect.  Some teachers ask to bring
them down that day; if I have time I say "ok" with the caveat that they are
here to use the print/computer resources, not the human ones as my day is
already planned out.  It goes back to the "shelving" issue - people don't
have a clue what we do.  When there aren't classes in here, that must be
when we curl up with a good book!?
                                                ---
The first year was a bit tricky - my goal was to be NICE, firm, a little
flexible when necessary, and give everyone a form to fill in whenever they
requested to bring in a class, or multiple students came in with the same
assignment.  Subsequent years have gotten much better.  Good luck!!
                                                ---
The only time I will take a class in without 24 hour
notice is if the class has already been in for the project and they need
additional time using L.M.C. resources.  Only then do I feel we can do an
adequate job to meet their needs.

Brian Ralph
Teacher-Librarian
St Agnes High School                                    A 7-10 Catholic School
Rooty Hill 2766                                   in the Western Suburbs of
AUSTRALIA                                               Sydney, Australia
bralph @ zeta.org.au
http://www.zeta.org.au/~stagnesh/infocent.html

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/