Dear Friends,

On Friday, one of my English teachers asked if I could generate a list of
Classic Literature written by European authors.  I confidently replied that I
could and strode purposefully to my electronic catalog.  I correctly worded
my query and was rewarded with a list of about 15 titles.  I was a bit
surprised, because I know I have more Classics than that in my collection.
 Several years ago, before conversion, another English teacher required her
students to read Classics Novels, so I added that subject heading to the
appropriate titles.  Now I am discovering that many of my "home-grown"
subject headings did not survive the conversion.  Could someone point me in
the right direction for a list of novels considered "Classics," both European
and American?  I know I can reconstruct my catalog by browsing my shelves,
but right now I don't want to spend my time on that.  My teacher was
satisfied with the list I gave her, but I wasn't.

Afterthought - There must be African and Asian novels considered Classic.  Do
you know of them?

Thanks for your help,

Marian Mackey, Librarian             Knowledge is of two kinds:
Perkiomen Valley High School      we know a subject ourselves, or
509 Gravel Pike                            we know where we can find
Graterford, PA  19426                   information upon it. - S. Johnson
email: mkmackey@aol.com

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/