Thanks to everyone who responded to my request. I received lots of wonderful
ideas. I showed the list to the art teacher and she was impressed. We are
going to try at least one or two of the ideas. The hit is long so it is in
several parts.

Picture book illustrators are a great place to start. Students study several
different styles and try their hands at something similar.

Our art teacher and I have collaborated on a number of things.  We did an
Eric Carle unit together, with me reading the story, and showing part of the
video Eric Carle Picture Writer.  She showed part of it in art class, and
the kids made pictures using his techniques.  Another one we did together
was The Gentleman and the Kitchen Maid.  I read them the book, then she
showed them copies of classic portraits, and the kids wrote stories about
them, and drew their own versions.  We've done this sort of thing with a
number of classes, and both enjoy "working" together!  Our dream would be to
actually be in the same room at the same time, but schedules don't allow it.
We did a unit on Picasso together, too.  Please post a hit if you get some
good ideas!  We're always looking for ways to collaborate!

I kissed a pig a few years back and the art teacher had kids make pig
 noses and ears. The projects went along well with the pig books but I would
forgo the kissing of the pig.

Last year I did a project with our Art Teacher( now on sabbatical)in which
she taught the biographical information on famous artists like Van Gogh. She
also taught the children about the artists' techniques. I used the Net to
find more biographical info and examples of his works. I showed this to
students during Library class. As a followup the students tried to recreate
some famous works like Starry nights. We got the pictures and info on the
Web Museum http://sunsite.unc.edu/wm/
Something else that we discussed but did not implement was using origami
sites cooperatively and downloading instructions for different activities.
Thje Art Teacher also used the Net to copy art work from the WebMuseum for
use in her room.

You can do some wonderful art work with Greek/Romans myths.

Paper mache urns painted in black and earth colours with scenes from
different myths around the urn.

Cut paper squares glued down to make a mosaic picture of Hercules (whatever).

Paper sandals that fit on the students' feet.  These should have wings on
them like Hermes had.
Hello! Our middle school art teacher did a medieval art unit at the same
time the middle school students were studying that time period in
history and were reading fiction about medieval times. They were also
doing medieval music and chants in choir.

Some of their projects were building castles, making stained glass
windows (painting on brown paper and then oiling it to make it look sort
of clear), medieval costume (pointy hats with veils, etc.), illustrated
lettering, anything medieval.

Almost any art technique she would like to teach her students can be
"modeled" beforehand through read alouds and discussions in the LMC.  For
example:  Collage -- share books by Eric Carle, Leo Lionni; cut paper
collage -- David Wisniewski; stippling -- books by Craig Brown; watercolor --
Jerry Pinkney (and don't miss the wonderful video about his work); Patricia
Polacco; scratchboard -- Brian Pinkney; bold geometric design try Ashley
Bryan and Gerald McDermott, and so forth. We've also used the famous
artist/theme approach.  For example, when the art teacher wanted to expose
the students to the work of Matisse we both
shared information about him.  She from a "artist" point of view; I found
biographical works that I shared.  Then I read Beatrice deRegniers "Circus"
book (and others) and the art teacher worked with the students to create
"circus" pictures emulating the style of Matisse. We've screen printed ,
block printed, made marbelized paper (a'la Ezra Jack Keats -- see the video
from Weston Woods.), and just plain had fun.

My school is Pre-K-8 2 things I'm doing:
 Pre-Kind: We look at picture books by a particular illustrator in storytime
and checkout times. The art teacher introduces the media of the illustrator:
painting, drawing, collage, etc. And then the kids do something similar.
 This works as an Instant Display to use in the library too!!!!!
 Older kids: (Partic 5-8) I am doing a series of multimedia projects this
year with my upper school. Now, we are researching a country and doing a
"newscast" based on this info. The art teacer has discussed set design with
the students and is helping them with backgrounds, maps(for the weather
portion, etc). She will also introduce them to video recorders, and will aid
in the taping of the news.
 Good luck...it's more fun when you work in teams with the
 teachers......None of us is as good as all of us!

I work with my art teachers regularly.  We have tied research into ancient
Egypt with art projects - heiroglyphs, mummies, pyramid paintings, etc.
We have also done other research projects with the final product being
some kind of art project.  The best products are selected for display in
the media center - either for our permanent collection if the student is
willing to donate his/her work or just for the school year.

 listserv@listserv.syr.edu              In the message write EITHER
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL  or 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST
 For more help see LM_NET On The Web:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/