Friends,

I would like to thank each and every one of the forty-seven people who
responded to my "plea for help!"  With your suggestions for activities
and books, I feel somewhat less hesitant to face my Wednesday sessions
with the four-year-olds!

As promised, I am summarizing the suggested titles as well as a few
things to "keep in mind when working with 4-year olds!.  Somehow about
five-ten of the responses got deleted before I was able to include them
in this list...I am sorry, your help was not ignored or unappreciated--I
was just careless.  My apologies to you.

Thanks, again for your help.  You are a great group.
Kathy Hutton, LMS
David A. Harrison Elementary School, Disputanta, Virginia
khutton@pgs.k12.va.us

Here is part one of the summary: (Beginning with "helpful hints")
Try:  Acting out stories & fingerplays; sequencing; short, participation
type stories with them. If the story doesn't have participation built
in, we add some anyway. (There are always animal
sounds, things to count, phrases to repeat, etc.) They also like to sing
(use Raffi Books).
Paper cut stories while telling story to hold attention.
Most of the little ones like rhymes and predictable text and minimal
text are good to start with.
Use of puppets, stuffed animals, felt boards and story pictures to hold
interest while story telling.
Sit on the floor with them--remember attention span is about 1 minute
per year of age!

Angus books; Story about Ping;  Flack
Animals of Farmer Jones. Scarry, Richard
Are you my mother?
Ask Mr. Bear by Flack
Aunt Nina's nephews and nieces
Baby Sister for Francis, Bedtime for Francis
Baby Duck books by Hest books
Big pumpkin
Boogie Bones
Brown Bear, Brown Bear... by Bill Martin
Buster series; Diggingest dog; Angus Books (Flack)
Caps For Sale.  Slobodkina, Esphyr
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Martin
Chicken Soup with Rice
Chocolate Covered Cookie Tantrum
Clifford books by Norman Bridwell
Color Zoo
Cow that said oink - Benard Most
Deep in the Forest (Turkle)
Dogger; Alfie books by Shirley Hughes
Don't Fidget a Feather by Erica Silverman
Elephant buttons
Elves and the shoemaker (hats); Ugly Duckling; Gingerbread Man (Boy)
puppets; Henny Penny    puppets; Little Red Hen book then act it out with
puppets; The 3 Pigs; Three Billy Goats  Gruff (Galdone) The Wolf and the
Seven Kids
Eric Carle books
Feathers for Lunch by Ehlert
Freight Train by Crews