Hi ...

At 03:55 PM 4/7/98 EDT, Alice wrote:
>While much of what you post to LM_NET is valid and even thought-provoking,
>sometimes you forget that YOU work with adults all day long, in a workplace
>And all of that puts a very different spin on how we operate. . .  because we
>are in schools, not government offices.

I have the impression (from your first sentence) that you got my remarks
backwards and thought I was advocating that KKK publications, pornography,
etc., be placed in school libraries, though it is hard to be sure from the
rest of your note.

Perhaps my point was not clear.  What I am saying is that some folks are
very inconsistent (or confused) where the question of
limiting/choosing/selecting library materials is concerned, and therefore
make nonsensical and out-of-context references to "constitutionally
protected speech" with reference to the Internet where they would never
think of doing so with reference to printed materials.  I mean, if the KKK
or Nazi party or Larry Flynt were to give you a selection of their
publications, WOULD you put them on the shelves?  I should certainly hope
not!  And if you would not, are you not "filtering"?

Adults can do what they jolly well please in privacy and on their own time.
That was not what I was talking about.  Where KIDS are concerned, adults
have responsibilities.  Consistent exercise of those responsibilities in an
age of digital communications is what I was talking about.

Regards,

Ken
--
Kenneth W. Umbach, Ph.D., Policy Analyst
California Research Bureau, California State Library