Ken, I think your point was *not* clear. You're equating 'filtering'
with 'selection', and I think you're right, up to a point. When a
librarian chooses what to have in the collection, she is in control
of the selection. When a "filter" blocks a site from access, the
programmers who implemented the filter design, based on criteria from
a company, are in control. The librarian has no control over
'selection' of the material on the Internet.

We've seen examples here on LM_NET of the types of 'criteria' that
the filtering companies have. For example, access to the LM_NET
archives are blocked since the moderators do not screen every
message. I'm sure that if questioned, they would point to the recent
spam posting as evidence that the site should be blocked. But why
should they make the choice for the librarian? Shouldn't the
librarian make the choice for her library?

Perhaps the LM_NET collective 'mind' should post the criteria for an
acceptable filtering program.  It is time for the library world to
communicate that they want to 'select' the Internet themselves, not
'filter' based on external programs.

Dan Robinson
Indexing Services
H.W. Wilson Company
Bronx, NY
drobinson@hwwilson.com

On  7 Apr 98 at 14:08, Ken Umbach wrote:

> Hi ...
>
> At 03:55 PM 4/7/98 EDT, Alice wrote:
> >While much of what you post to LM_NET is valid and even thought-provoking,
> >sometimes you forget that YOU work with adults all day long, in a workplace
> >And all of that puts a very different spin on how we operate. . .  because we
> >are in schools, not government offices.

[snipped]
> Perhaps my point was not clear.  What I am saying is that some folks are
> very inconsistent (or confused) where the question of
> limiting/choosing/selecting library materials is concerned, and therefore
> make nonsensical and out-of-context references to "constitutionally
> protected speech" with reference to the Internet where they would never
> think of doing so with reference to printed materials.  I mean, if the KKK
> or Nazi party or Larry Flynt were to give you a selection of their
> publications, WOULD you put them on the shelves?  I should certainly hope
> not!  And if you would not, are you not "filtering"?

[snipped]