Hello Karen and all,

Thank you for asking about the tornado in Birmingham.  I am not the
librarian from W.J. Christian, but she is a friend and our schools are
both in the eastern area.

 The majority of the damage was in the western side of Birmingham.  The
tornado lifted as it went across the more densley populated areas of
Birmingham, hitting mainly in western suburbs and then coming back down
east of Birmingham. However, we did have some who lost family.  A
substitute teacher in our school (who has a child here) lost her brother
and sister-in-law in a weather related automobile accident in south
Alabama or Georgia when the storms went through there earlier in the
day.  The grandmother of a teacher's wife was still missing when we left
school on Thursday.  Most of the wife's family lives in the area hit by
the tornado and the teacher was out helping his father-in-law.  We
should hear something tomorrow when we return to school.  At least one
family at our school attended the church in Moody (east of Birmingham)
which was destroyed.

It is indeed a terrible event to go through.  My house and neighborhood
were hit in the 1973 tornado here, so I'm very aware of how traumatic
this can be.

Thank you for your concern.

--
Carol Wheat, librarian