Thank you to everyone who responded to my request of what else to do with my
degree.  I received many wonderful words of encouragement and advice.  Many
(most) of you encouraged me not to give up on school librarianship if it is
something that I enjoy.  I do enjoy it and will miss the kids, but I think I
need a break.  I know that there are bad apples in all professions, but
right now I don't think that I want to deal with these kinds of people for a
while.  Despite very good evaluations and the fact that I set up and run a
computer lab as well as the library, this superintendent feels that I am not
good enough.  My union doesn't want to be bothered and told me that they
can't help me, that the superintendent has the "unfettered" right to dismiss
me, even if it only because he "doesn't like your hairstyle."  This is not
the kind of environment I want to be in.  I have, however, learned that I
have many supporters in the school, and they will write me letters of
recommendations if I choose to pursue school librarianship.
I have decided take a year (if my husband and I can afford it), stay home
with my 7 month old son, and pursue freelance indexing and editing.  If that
doesn't work out, I'll move on.

Suggestions I received are:
        Administration
        Management
        records management
        customer service
        government
        other types of librarianship such as archivist, public librarian,
historical, academic, medical, corporate, government, law
        software producer
        web design
        community development agencies
        publishing companies
        reference companies
        indexing

Thanks again to all who wrote and your many words of encouragement.

Susanne
Susanne Ford-Croghan, Librarian
Salem Central School
East Broadway