LM Netters,
        Here is PART III of the HIT--responses to the two questions I
asked on Thursday evening (do you let kids in grades 3-5 checkout books
during their first scheduled LMC visit and what are the three most
important things you teach each of those grades). Thanks for the time
you took to respond.
 ****
YES, let older students check out books on the first visit. Some
of your serious readers haven't seen a library for the entire summer and
are starving for something to read.
        I'm more high school and this is what I'd like for students to
have covered when I acquire them full-time (they visit on a need basis
from the elem. lib.):
        1. Different types of resources. Recognition of F for fiction,
#'s
for non-fiction, the newspaper, magazines, encyclopedias, vertical file,
card catalog, etc. I'd like them to be comfortable looking for these
items
in a different setting.
        2. How to write a one page report using nothing but an
encyclopedia article. The teachers and I can build, but it's tough to
teach using other resources when all the student knows to do is copy the
information found in World Book. Also, how to write the bibliography.
This means that 5th graders need to know the difference between
word-by-word and letter-by-letter alphabetization. Different
encyclopedias
use different methods. Also, St. is in the st's in some and saint in
others.
        3. Basic skill in using the card catalog, both regular and
automated. The ability to locate "key terms" is a must. Students need to
know how to think through a problem and come up with several ways to
look
up the same topic.
        4. Humorous, yet serious. I was reported for repeatedly cursing
5th grade class. While doing newspaper unit, I kept saying obituary.
(Oh-Bitch-you-Arry). Go figure. It's funny now, but I scarred one little
innocent girl for librarians. The boys wanted to know, "You're serious?
can use this word in class and the teacher can't write me up?"
***
        Yes, I do a scavenger hunt to review library locations and procedures.

        They start checking out on day 1. We are not open over the summer and
many
don't   have access to the public library, so I am anxious to get them
lovin' books
again!
        Information Problem Solving (Big 6) is a great framework for the entire
year.  I can cover location (OPAC, shelf order, etc.), access (book
parts),
retrieval (note-taking), and the whole idea of learning to learn.  No
two libraries
are ever the same and if they know how to work through information
problems (and
problem solving in general) I am setting them up to succeed in the world
beyond our
library.  Also, don't forget booktalks.  I have a tough time fitting
them
in, but try to do them as often as possible.
***
        For grades 2-6 I usually review rules and book care briefly and then
check out the first time.  We review some more for a couple of times so
they get in the routine.
        I don't usually check out with Kdg. till after the first 9 week report
card.
***
        This is my first year as a librarian, though I've worked as a library
assistant for the last three and one-half years. Grades 3-5 get a review
of book care and rules for making library time enjoyable for all. I also
used an idea from LM_NET from last year. I made up a blank map of the
library, a "bird's eye view" from the ceiling. Students had to walk
around the library to label the bookcases on their paper, check-out,
ready-reference to review where everything is found in the library. This
helps new students also. The categories I used on my map were: Easy
Fiction, Fiction, Non-Fiction, Biographies, Geography, Reference,
Videos, Circulation (Check-out/Check-In),  Newbery Books, Magazines,
Card Catalog (or Online Catalog-whichever). Each of the sections listed
is in a separate part of the library -- that's why I picked those
catagories. I'll start with classification next, and take different
sections of Dewey over the next few weeks (we're on fixed schedule right
now).
***
        I am the librarian at a K-6 elementary school in Houston, TX, and
have been at that school for 11 years.  In answer to your two questions:
Children don't
check out books the first week.  I give them a lesson on library
rules/procedures and
 book care similar to the one I give the primaries.  In addition, in an
automated library,
I need at least a week to get their names in the circ system (there are
some
long hours during that first week).  What I teach in the way of
library skills really boil down to three things: (1) Location skills
(mainly catalog skills) (2) Research skills, now including internet
and computer lessons, but the more traditional lessons on book parts,
different reference books, and how to put information together for a
report, and, probably most importantly (3) A love of books and
reading, transmitted (I hope) by book sharing and book talks.  Hope
this helps!
***
Most important things I teach:
 1.  Reading is fun, you're going to love it.
 2.  Librarians and Libaries are fun, in addition to being helpful.
3.   There is ALWAYS time to read.
***
        I teach in a K-6 school.  My students get the same speech you give the
first two visits.  No books checked out.  Since I do not have an
extended
contract, I need that time to ready the computer system for check outs.
delete sixth graders, give their card numbers to incoming K students
plus
type info for K and new students into the computer.  Most teacher supply
stores have library skill books for each grade level containing skills
that
need to be taught.  Hope this helps.
***
        I do review rules, but I always let them check out books the first time
they come.
        The most important thing I teach students is information skills--how to
find what they need, how to sift through it, how to take clear, concise
notes,
how to evaluate the sources they use and the enjoyment of reading for
its own
sake.
***
I have 5-6 grades only.  I spend a lot of time reading to them and
giving
them booktalks.  But, teaching lessons, I cover:
        Browsing skills:  I teach the basic Dewey hundreds by
highlighting
one hundred group a month.  I give out little scraps of paper and
pencils,
then start at the beginning of the 500s, for example.  I pull books off
the
shelf and say that in the 500s you find science experiments, 510s, you
find
books on math, math puzzles, etc., 520s you find planets and solar
system,
etc.  I pull off several books in each decade to show them (using my
paint
stick "place holders" to save the places when I pull the books out!),
and
as I go along I say, now if you like books on weather, look in the 550s
- here
are tornadoes, lightning, hurricanes.  They write furiously, then after
get through with the 599s, I say, now, remind me what kinds of books you
find in the 500s, and we review.  When it's time to check books out, the
500s shelves are picked clean.
        When I read stories, I have some poster boards that I use to
illustrate
components of fairy and folk tales like: 1)things come in 3s, 2)good
over evil,
3)hero or heroine may make a great sacrifice for someone
or something, 4) hero or heroine may go on a long journey (and may pick
up
things along the way to help later), etc.  I review the cards that
relate
to the particular story I'm reading, then let them tell me, after the
story
was over, which things appeared and when.
        When i do booktalks, there is such a demand for the books I've
shown that I let them guess numbers between 1-10 (or more or less,
depending on
how many want it) to see who gets them.
        I also teach card catalog skills, but that's a whole 'nuther
story,
as I'm online.
        I, too, spend the first week talking about library rules in
general, mostly behavior.  The second week, I review the checkout
procedure and
rules, then check out books.  The third week, I review how to check in a
book.  By the 4th week, we're finally on the way!
***
Yes - I definitely allow children (K-8) to borrow books the first time
their class visits the library.  They are at their most enthusiatic at
the
beginning of the school year and I feel any other approach is
discouraging them from
reading.  I want them to get their little hands on the books!
***