Joanne,
First, the most attractive shelving for books -- and other materials too --
is against the walls. You can mount really high shelves on walls with
adjustable shelving, putting books on the bottom and exhibits on the top.
People can stand quite far back and really see what's available.  Often
architects want to put lots of windows and doors on the walls, negating the
chance for the library to use walls for shelving.  The additional shelving
should be low, free-standing shelving that is strategically placed to
entice borrowers, for example, as single-sided, closed at the back,
dividers between work spaces, rather than in stacks.  Only go to
double-sided or high shelving if you are desperate for space.  High,
free-standing shelves will give the library a claustrophobic, cramped look.
Ideally, you want your patrons to come in and have a sweeping view of the
whole library at about 3 1/2 - 4 feet high.

Require that all book cases have adjustable shelves.

Why do I say that the free-standing cases should be single sided shelving
with a back, rather than double-sided?  Because single-sided is the most
versatile. You can always put two of them back to back, but as dividers,
they can also be set singly using the other side for displays or activity
centers or posters or work tables.

Never design *built-in* stacks that stick out into the room.  If you can't
move them, you have lost your chance to rearrange the space later.  If you
*must* have stacks, make them at least 4 feet apart (3 feet is the standard
minimum) so that a person can stand back and see the bottom shelves as
easily as the top shelves.

According to the handicapped code for wheelchair patrons, you should try to
keep the height of your book shelves to four feet or less.  Of course that
takes up more floor space, which you don't have.  In a 30' by 60' space you
are going to need every inch of wall space you can get; it's not actually a
lot of room if in this square footage you also provide room for class
instruction, free reading, exhibits, computer searching, reference work,
circulation and processing.

>HELP!!!
>
>I just got a call (9 AM CDT) at home from my principal.  He wants a floor
>plan for a new library to fit in a 30 by 60 foot space to take to an
>architect Monday morning.  Of course I'm leaving town this afternoon.  I
>knew there was talk about a new building but really didn't think (still
>don't for that matter) it would really happen and certainly had no idea they
>were going to want input this soon and had no idea what kind of space they
>were talking about.  Our collection is currently about 13,000 in a space
>that is a little less than half the size they are talking about.  The
>shelves are packed tight, even after extensive weeding, and I am of course
>thrilled at the thought of more space.  I have some stuff at school but
>probably not for this space.  They particularly want to know about linear
>feet of shelving and where I would want it.  Obviously, I want to leave room
>for even more materials.   I also want to make sure there's enough
>seating/instruction space which I don't have now.  The principal says this
>is just a rough first draft.  Any suggestions?
>
>Thanks for any advice you can give.
>Joanne Proctor
>Most Pure Heart of Mary School
>Topeka, KS
>jmproctor@mphm.com
>
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=
>To quit LM_NET (or set-reset NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send email to
> listserv@listserv.syr.edu         In the message write EITHER:
> 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET 2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL or 3) SET LM_NET DIGEST
> 3) SET LM_NET MAIL  * Please allow for confirmation from Listserv
> For LM_NET Help & Archives see:  http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/

Joan Kimball, Librarian, Writer, Storyteller. Clinton NY.
   retired from Hart's Hill Elementary School Library, Whitesboro NY.
E-mail:  jkim@borg.com

To quit LM_NET (or set-reset NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send email to