Greetings --

Below are the two responses received during this busy, busy time for everyone.
Thank you to Marion and Nina.
Some years I start with a storytelling (like Abiyoyo); other years we do an
interactive map; this year I want to set up the data projector and have a
section on using the patron catalog.
I have two different orientations--a 2-period version for sixth-graders and a
condensed 1-period version for 7th and 8th.  With the sixth-graders, I give
them a quick tour and go over my rules.  (I know a lot of people prefer a
scavenger hunt/map introduction, but that didn't work for me.)  Then I
introduce them to the different types of spine labels and what they mean--I
have one book with each kind of label on each table and after I explain what
it stands for, I describe it and have them work together to find and hold up
that book.  (I also created a chart with each level and what it means because
I got tired of hearing things like "Where are the scary stories?")  I then
explain the check-out and return proceedures.  At the end I have a
quiz/contract for them to take and sign that they understand and agree to
follow the rules and then they check-out! (For seventh and eighth I refresh
their memory and inform them of any changes, go over the rules and take the
quiz.)
I will be glad to post any other suggestions the group may have.  Have a great
beginning to the year!

Cathy Rosenstock, LMS
Marlborough Middle School
Marlborough, MA

crmercury@aol.com

To quit LM_NET (or set-reset NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send email to