I have read this thread with great interest, mainly I suppose because it was
my comment that sparked this debate. Yes, I do not allow students to check
out AR books that are above/below their READING level. Big difference
between reading level and grade level. This was a staff decision and one I
back whole heartedly. However, as my comments were directed towards a
specific question, I was only responding to our AR program. The AR program
is written into our curriculum, and is used as a tool to raise reading
levels. Obviously, only AR books are marked by reading level. Students are
allowed to read any non-AR fiction or non-fiction they choose. If a 1st
grader wants to check out "Moby Dick", it's fine by me.  Since we began AR 3
years ago tho', not one fiction book has been checked out, and only a few
non-fiction, even when I try to suggest them to the kids. Our students seem
to love taking the tests and trying to top their personal goals. Our AR
books contain fiction, non-fiction, chapter books, picture books (even at
the 5th grade level), etc. If a student wants to read higher level books, we
encourage that student to read a few books, take a few tests, and raise
their reading level. We do not allow anyone to take the same test twice
(meaning from one year to the next), nor can they test below their reading
level, since we had some 6th graders whose reading level was at a 7.0 or
better, reading Frog and Toad, just for easy points. The rewards are simple
for those reaching their goals - a "read-in" where all desks are shoved
against the walls and students bring in their sleeping bags and lay around
all day reading, ice cream in the park, etc. We have strived in our K-6
building to make reading fun! And our scores show our success in raising our
reading levels. I feel we are educating our students well, and I still,
right or wrong, believe in our policies.

Michal Austin
Elem. Librarian/K-12 Art
Flinthills USD 492
Rosalia KS