Dear LM_NET Colleagues,

Good news below from Joyce Valenza regarding our January LM_Conf session:

LM_NET, in cooperation with The American Association of School Librarians
(AASL) Mentoring the Profession Task Force, is resuming its monthly,
online, real-time conference schedule in January. LM_Conf is available to
any school librarian with an Internet connection.

Our January session promises to be exciting, friends!  The topic is
searching and search engines.  Join us Wednesday, January 20th at 9:00 PM
EST as we learn and share with these colleagues and expert panelists:

**Tara Calishain is the co-author of _Official Netscape Guide to Internet
Research, 2nd Edition_. She owns CopperSky Writing & Research, a
consulting company dedicated to content development, Internet research,
online promotion, and writing.

**Kathy Schrock is the Technology Coordinator for the Dennis-Yarmouth
Regional School District on Cape Cod in Massachusetts. She is the creator
of Kathy Schrock's Guide for Educators, and has authored several books and
articles on the topics evaluation of Web sites, begininng HTML, and use of
Microsoft Publisher in the classroom.

**Mark Williams is the Senior Librarian at Colton High School.  He has
been in education for 31 years, and presents frequently at state and
regional conferences on topics of interest to librarians and educators.
His most recent article appeared in the September/October 1998 issue of
The Book Report.

Among the topics we plan to cover are:
Cool new tricks search engines can do
Common student missteps
Tips for teaching teachers
Favorite search tools
Using specific search tools strategically

Our panel will chat for about 20 minutes and then we'll open the floor to
your questions.

How to connect:
   Here is some more good news about our new, improved Web based chat
environment. This is provided by AskERIC, as before. (If you do not have a
new enough Web browser to use it, there is information about a different
interface below.)

Here is how to connect to the new Web based interface at the AskERIC Live
website.
  1. Go to http://thread.syr.edu/live
  2. Click on "Chat Now"
  3. Click on lm_live or lm_conf
  4. Wait for the applet to load (this may take 45-90 seconds)
  5. Click on the Connect button
  6. Type in your NickName
  7. Click ok.

This web based chat client does not need a plugin. However, you will need
a java enabled browser. Just be sure that you are using at least
Netscape3/Internet Explorer3 or later versions.

If you do not have Netscape3/Internet Explorer3 or later versions, you
can still connect the way we used to using mIRC or Ircle.  The new
parameters are.
        server: thread.syr.edu
        port:   6667

For the "old" nopn-Web based software, and more information, our LM_NET On
the Web page has a link to LM_Live! and its associated Help materials.
        Location: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/

Forwarded by Peter Milbury for:

Joyce Kasman Valenza, Librarian          Springfield Township High School
jvalenza@mciunix.mciu.k12.pa.us          joyce.valenza@phillynews.com
American Memory Fellow:                  Milken National Educator 97/98
Phone: (215) 233-6058                    Fax: (215) 836-5237
Philadelphia Inquirer tech.k12           crossings.phillynews.com/archive.htm
http://gopher.mciu.k12.pa.us/~jvweb
http://mciunix.mciu.k12.pa.us/~spjvweb