Here is the last part on famous people with disablilities.  Thanks again to
everyone who sent me information.

 Famous People Who Stutter

> IN THE PAST
>
> Moses -- Hebrew prophet, whose brother Aaron spoke for him.
>
> Demosthenes -- the greatest orator of ancient Greece, who practiced
> speaking with pebbles in his mouth to improve articulation, shouted
> above the ocean waves to improve his volume, and worked with a actor in
> reciting Sophocles and Euripedes to coordinate his voice and gestures.
>
> Aesop -- Greek author of fables.
>
> Vergil -- Roman poet.
>
> Claudius -- Roman emperor.  Robert Graves' novel I, Claudius suggests
> that Claudius overplayed his disabilities as a young man, to avoid being
> murdered by enemies seeking his place in line to the throne.  But when
> he became emperor, Claudius was powerful and successful.
>
> Dekanawida -- Great leader who invented democratic government and united
> the Iroquois nation, sixteenth century.
>
> Isaac Newton -- Scientist, developed law of gravity, invented calculus.
>
> Charles I -- King of England, 1625-1649, during the English Civil War.
> His inability to speak to Parliament "had an unfavorable influence on
> his affairs."  Charles lost the war and was hanged.
>
> Robert Boyle -- British chemist, known for his experiments on the
> properties of gases.
>
> Erasmus Darwin -- Physician, scientist, and grandfather of Charles
> Darwin.
>
> Charles Darwin -- Naturalist and author of The Origin of Species.
>
> Joseph Priestley (1733-1804) -- Discovered oxygen, ammonia, carbon
> monoxide.  Wrote U.S. Constitution's statements on personal freedom.
>
> Charles Lamb -- Nineteenth-century British writer.  He was not allowed
> to pursue a scholarly education because of his stuttering, but worked as
> an accountant and wrote on the side.
>
> Leigh Hunt -- Nineteenth-century British writer, founded the liberal
> Examiner newspaper.
>
> Charles Canon Kingsley -- Nineteenth-century English orator, writer, and
> chaplain to Queen Victoria.
>
> Arnold Bennett -- British novelist and playwright (1867-1931).
>
> Clara Barton -- Founded the American Red Cross in 1881.
>
> Cotton Mather -- Puritan leader, medical scientist, prosecuted Salem
> witch trials.  Fasting and prayers failed to affect his speech, but
> speaking in a "drawling...little short of Singing" enabled him to become
> a preacher.
>
> Lewis Carroll -- Author of Alice in Wonderland.  Carroll wasn't allowed
> to become a priest because of his stuttering.
>
> Henry James -- American novelist.
>
> Marilyn Monroe -- Actress, who used a breathy way of speaking to avoid
> stuttering.
>
> Kim Philby -- British spy.  Stuttering once saved his life, by
> confounding a fast-paced interrogator.
>
> Winston Churchill -- Prime minister of Great Britain in World War Two.
> Churchill hummed discreetly to himself to get his vocal folds vibrating,
> and prepared his remarks in advance.  Churchill wrote: "I wrote out my
> arguments with the greatest care, and than learned them backwards and
> [...]
Elizabeth Hart
Library Technical Assistant
California School for the Blind
Fremont, CA  94536
ehart@csb.cde.ca.gov

listserv@listserv.syr.edu In the message write EITHER
    NOTE: Please allow time for confirmation from Listserv.
For more help see LM_NET On The Web: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/