I saw the article and I "know" Ruth through her involvement with the Read In!
She is a warm, caring person and seems to always be looking for new adventures
for the students in her charge. I guess that so many of us DO work out of our
"classification" or "job description", that I didn't have the same reaction as
you to the article.  I merely saw a friend being featured in a magazine as
someone who is innovative and applying technology--to me, seeing her service
recognized, it did not matter that it was an advertisement.

I know it is possible to work with great companies and NOT compromise one's
project, goals, or one's integrity.  Sure, companies want their name and their
product before the public, and they are not ALL altruistic; but, it IS
possible to mantain creative control while being aided and supported by them.
In order to keep The Read In! viable and FREE to all of the schools, I have
turned to large corporations to help fund the project and the foundation.
When one is upfront, honest, and forceful, one is neither bullied into, nor
demands made of them, in areas of compromises of integrity or control.

I have not yet recieved a reply to my personal email to Ruth, mailed late
Friday afternoon; but, basically, I told her I was amazed at all the hard work
she puts into her job and that I KNOW her students were the beneficiaries of
it all.

Sorry if anyone feels strongly that I am wrong in this...It's just that maybe
that company, because of the article, is discounting a product or service to
her site that they value but cannot afford (and in these times we sometimes do
what we must do to maintain high quality on site); or maybe they simply see in
her what I see: a dedicated woman proud of her service to her site and to her
profession, and they wanted to honor and recognize her. I like to think that
hard work and high ideals ARE respected and honored...even if it took 18 years
for someone to recognize it!

Aren't some of the best professionals you know the ones who DO go beyond their
responsibilities? Don't you REALLY want the doctor who sits by your bedside
all night through a tragedy? Or the teacher who, while trying to raise a child
of her own, stays late to tutor, for free, students preparing for the county
spelling bee? Or the librarian who takes on responsibilites above and beyond
her "normal" tasks?...*I* do...BUT...I also am not the least bit upset if one
of them is honored in ANY way.

Just my opinion...learned from experience...I love teachers and
librarians--and have great respect for all they do...and wish MORE could be
honored...

Jane ;-)

AFCJane@aol.com
The Read In!
http://www.readin.org
Jane Coffey
Dutcher Elementary
Computer Technician
Turlock, CA 95380

listserv@listserv.syr.edu In the message write EITHER
    NOTE: Please allow time for confirmation from Listserv.
For more help see LM_NET On The Web: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/