I received this story at a workshop an no copyright information was
supplied. If you are familiar with the source it was not my intention of
'stealing' the idea but merely passing on a great one.

You will need:
-a plastic bear-shaped honey bottle or a plastic cup with a bear's face
taped to the front.
- piece of white paper to tape to the back of the cup.
-yellow, blue and red food colouring
-a spoon for stirring (a magic wand)
-chlorine bleach or I used Tintex colour remover. It takes a lot of
bleach to do the 'magic', depending on how big your glass is and how
much colour you add. Practice first!

An interactive story to be told.
Once there was a beautiful white polar bear who lived in the zoo. (Set
the 'bear' cup filled with water on the table) Everyday, the children
came to the zoo to watch the bear. He would sit up, balancing himself
with his feet in the air. Then he would roll in the grass, sit up and
clap his big furry paws. He enjoyed performing for the children. When he
finished, the children would clap their hands and stamp their feet.
(Instruct the children to clap their hands and stamp their feet after
his tricks).
    One day after the children had left the zoo Polar Bear stood by his
fence watching the workmen paint the nearby buildings. Three cans of
paint were left by the fence when the workmen went home. Polar Bear
reached through the fence and grabbed the cans. That night, he dipped
his big paw into the first can of paint and painted himself --- (Squeeze
two drops of yellow food colouring into the water and let the children
supply the colour word).
   The next day, the children came and Polar Bear did his tricks. The
children clapped their hands and stamped their feet, and said:
Polar Bear, Polar Bear, your colour's too bright,
We liked you best when your clolour was white. (Allow the children to
chime in)

That night, the bear dipped his big paw into the second can of paint and
painted himself --
(Squeeze two drops of blue food colouring into the water and let the
children supply the colour word)
The next day the children came and Polar Bear did his tricks. The
children clapped their hands and stamped their feet and said:
Polar Bear, Polar Bear, you colour's too bright,
We liked you best when you colour was white.

That night the bear dipped his big paw into the third can of paint and
painted himself --
(Squeeze two drops of red food colouring into the water and let the
children supply the colour word)
The next day, the children came and Polar Bear did his tricks. The
children clapped their hands and stamped their feet and said:
Polar Bear, Polar Bear, your colour's too bright,
We liked you best when you colour was white.

The bear looked at the children. The children looked at the bear. Polar
Bear jumped into the water (continue with story as you add the chlorine
bleach or the tintex -this works best, I think) and swam and swam. He
went down so deep that the children couldn't see him. Up and down in the
water he swam. Finally he climbed out.
The children clapped their hands and stamped their feet and said:
Polar Bear, Polar Bear, your colour's just right.
We love you Polar Bear, so pretty and white.

The bear  decided never again to change his colour. After all, polar
bears are supposed to be white -- aren't they?

Pat Elliott
Teacher/Librarian
Ferndale Woods Elementary School
Barrie, Ontario Canada
mailto:pat.elliott@sympatico.ca

listserv@listserv.syr.edu In the message write EITHER
    NOTE: Please allow time for confirmation from Listserv.
For more help see LM_NET On The Web: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/