M. Glavac wrote:
>One parent (who's wife is a teacher) challenged the consequence because >their son
>did not "physically" compose the message, but was
> only a bystander.

Marjan and Group,

Our AUP is designed in segments with underlined blanks in front of each
one. As the teacher or librarian goes over it with each class and
emphasizes and explains the issues, the student initials each segment
showing that he/she understands and agrees with that segment. Then they
and their parents sign a one page "contract" of appropriate behavior,
one copy for our file, one for the student to keep. The very first
segment that students must initial is something like

______ 1. I agree to report to the teacher/technologist/administrator in
charge any inappropriate use of the network that I may know about.

Another further down says something similar to

______ ?. If I discover any [avenue to files or servers] open that may
allow users into files that they do not need to have access to [config.
sys, autoexec.bat, etc.], I agree to report it immediately to the
teacher/technologist/administrator in charge, and I will not demonstrate
or show it to other users.

Whoever explains the AUP then describes ways that students can
unobtrusively report the infractions without making *themselves* known
to the rest of the class. We explain that internet access is a privilege
that can very easily removed if it is used inappropriately and that
telling the teacher/technologist/administrator in charge is not
"tattling" but is protecting their own rights to the privilege. We also
give real examples of how the rules have been broken in the past by
"show-off" students and the kinds of problems it causes, as well as the
penalties.

Another thing that *helps* to discourage inappropriate internet use is
to tell them that no matter where they may send messages and no matter
what signature they type on a message, the originator can be traced
through the domain names of the servers the message passes through.

Of course, these are high schoolers and many of them are much more
sophisticated in computer/internet use that we teachers are. We KNOW
that they know how to access web sites and do all sorts of things to our
network. We just emphasize that by signing the AUP they and their
parents are liable for any misbehavior online and it becomes a legal
matter -- like vandalism, proper authorities will be called if the
behavior warrants.

Betty
 Betty Dawn Hamilton * bhamilt@tenet.edu * bhamilt@llano.net
    Librarian*Tenet Master Trainer*News Group Moderator
      LM_NET Internet Volunteer*Freelance Writer/Editor
       TEXAS LIBRARY JOURNAL Contributing Editor
            Brownfield High School*Brownfield, Texas

listserv@listserv.syr.edu In the message write EITHER
    NOTE: Please allow time for confirmation from Listserv.
For more help see LM_NET On The Web: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/