> Marjan and Group,
>

> ______ 1. I agree to report to the teacher/technologist/administrator in
> charge any inappropriate use of the network that I may know about.

To One and All:
        The type of situations we are asking of ourselves and now our students
makes me question whether we really believe in the totality of what "the
freedom to read" for students.  This AUP clause would ask our students
to play policeman.  Don't we have enough busy bodies trying to tell us
and our students what to read, what to view, what to think without
enlarging that pool?
        If we placed as many restrictions on what was appropriate for students
to read and to explore in the world of books as we seem willing, even
anxious, to do with what they can do on the internet, many of us would
have to discard a good portion of the libraries we run, both fiction and
non-fiction.
        Be aware, that any type of filtering device we have installed blocks
out many legitimate sources.  While I am not so naïve to think that we
can avoid all of this, I think it is very important that we understand
that we are playing into the hands of those who would censor what
students can read.

Bob Laramee
Arvin High School Librarian
Arvin, CA
bookworm@lightspeed.net

listserv@listserv.syr.edu In the message write EITHER
    NOTE: Please allow time for confirmation from Listserv.
For more help see LM_NET On The Web: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/