I keep a shelf of Easy Readers for grades 1-3.  These are heavily
used.  I put easy chapter books like Kline's, Hurwitz series Russell
and Elisa..., Giff books, Rylant books, etc.  These help keep my
second graders especially from taking fiction books that are way too
long and too hard.
* * * * * *
I've put colored dots on most of my books to indicate a
general grade level.  This way the younger kids know that a blue dot is
first grade and a green dot is 4th grade.
* * * * * *
I was librarian in a K-8 school for eleven years.

Picture books or easy books were kept in a separate section.  1st
graders did not check out fiction books at all.  2nd graders moved into
the fiction section during the last half of the year.

The fiction books were coded with a Green dot (you could use any color
or even tape instead of dots.)  The kids new that unless they were in 7th
or 8th that the green dots were off limits.  It also gave ownership to the
7th & 8th graders for those books.

With this system I had no problems with kids checking out materials that
were inappropriate for their age.

Hope this helps and good luck.
* * * * * *
I would think with a K-8 student body you would have fiction divided
Easy/picture books and chapter books.  You could include beginning chapter
books in with teh picture books.  Equally as important it seems to me is
dividing your non-fiction collection.  Emergent readers frequently prefer
informational books, but need the easy reading level and picture format.
We have a semi circle of low shelving (all on casters).  We put the easy
fiction on the outside alphabetical by author and the easy non-fiction on
teh inside in Dewey order.  We put a small green dot on the spine label of
the non-fiction so we know where to reshelve it (inside the circle or on
the outer wall).  In our automated card catalog I have added an * in front
of the call number to symbolize the green dot.  Usage has increased
dramatically for these materials.  Teachers love it for a number of
reasons.  Big kids who do not read well are not turned off because some of
the most popular materials are shelved there (sets on sharks, spiders
etc.)  Little kids learn to decide if they want a story or information
right from the start and they learn the two ways of organizing the
materials.  The upper grade collection stays in better order as well.  I
have divided my collection with only a K-5 span.  I most surly would do it
with the larger span you describe.  If philosophically it is appropriate
for narration (fiction), why isn't it equally important for information
books?  Just a thought.
* * * * * *
I work in a K-8 Catholic School and the librarian who preceded me color
coded all our fiction. She put a little piece of colored tape on the
spine of each book and shelved the colors together.  Each color
represented a certain age group and all the students knew which shelves
they were allowed to check out from.
* * * * * *
Something that one of our librarians did for her primary classes was
put out on the tables before the students came in books that would
appeal to their age group.  After she did her lesson, she would tell
the students that they could check out books from the ones on the
tables.  While they were browsing through them, she then had a few
moments to help with the "special requests"  (where are the books on
horses?).

This method seems to work with me in the Middle School, in some cases,
because it narrows the choices.  Some students are overwhelmed by
having to choose one book out of a library of 10,000 volumes, but they
can deal with "pick out one of the books on this table".
* * * * * *
The simplest suggestion I have is to get the childrens' teacher
involved. Many times it's a close call and the teacher will tell the
student that the book is beyond their reading or comprehension level. I
also take the YA fiction and put stickers on them and make it clear to
my students that those books are for 6th through 8th grade only.
* * * * * *
I have worked in several schools where the k-12 library is all in one
room.  Currently I have the fiction divided between k-5 , 6-8, and
9-12.  I still have trouble with 6th graders getting YA fiction that is
too mature for them and have been slowly moving it to 9-12.  All my
middle school collection has a YA sticker on the spine to help with the
shelving.  Alls students may more to a lower collection, but to check
out from a higher collection I require the child has my approval.  Hope
this helps.

* Charlotte Snyder, Librarian         *
* The Waldorf School of Baltimore     *
* and Baltimore County Public Library *
* csnyder@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us         *

listserv@listserv.syr.edu In the message write EITHER
    NOTE: Please allow time for confirmation from Listserv.
For more help see LM_NET On The Web: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/