I have worked in several schools where the k-12 library is all in one
room.  Currently I have the fiction divided between k-5 , 6-8, and
9-12.  I still have trouble with 6th graders getting YA fiction that is
too mature for them and have been slowly moving it to 9-12.  All my
middle school collection has a YA sticker on the spine to help with the
shelving.  All students may move to a lower collection, but to check
out from a higher collection I require the child has my approval.  Hope
this helps.
* * * * * *
Assuming you are automated, maybe you can do something similar to what I
do to keep certain parts of my collection available & checkable only to
my special populations (i.e., ESL, Special Ed. & Inclusion kids).  I
have only 7th and 8th grades at my school, but I have purchased a few
hundred books for the Accelerated Reader program that are written on 1st
and 2nd grade reading level, as well as some in Spanish.  These I wanted
to make available only to the select students who really needed them.

Our automation system is Follett Unison.  First, I created a Patron Type
that I called "Inclusion".  Then I created a Circulation Type called
"Inclusion".  Then I had to change the Patron Type for each student in
the special group, and the Circulation Type in the copy record for each
book that I wanted to be restricted only to this group of kids.  This
allows only my special kids to check out these special books, but does
not limit them only to these books.  It does keep regular students from
checking them out.  I also shelve them in a special area, so had to
indicate that as a call number prefix.

I would think that if you decide to do something along these lines, you
would more or less reverse the situation, by restricting your more
"mature" books to your older students.  Just remember to give your older
students rights to both the regular collection and the "mature"
collection.  And of course, you'll need to add this right to your
Faculty as well.  They could then check out anything in the collection,
but your little ones could ONLY get the books that you had NOT included
in the mature group.  Depending on how many books you want to restrict,
this could be more work than you are willing to do.  However, you might
be able to scan their barcodes and do a global change.

Good luck!  Hope this helps.
* * * * * *
I'm in a PreK 5 school --  I place titles out on a counter for
the younger kids to choose from --- unless they have somthing in mind --
then we go to the stacks together --- I also color code the early readers,
Cam Jansen, Henry & Mudge, etc.  with a lime green sticker on the spine.
Then the emergent readers can stroll through the fiction section and know
they will be able to read these titles.
* * * * * *
I have been K-8, K-5 and am presently building from K-7 back to K-8.  My
collection has really been through the mill.  It is a very difficult age
range.  I use the YA stickers on the middle school books.  I have a talk
with my middle school students at the beginning of each year.  I explain
that these books are for mature readers.  They may contain language or
subject matter that their parents do not approve of.  If they have
concerns they should ask me before checking out a book.  So far, we seem
to coexist together.  Good Luck!
* * * * * *
At our K-8 school students wear uniforms. The middle school wears green
shirts. I've put green stickers next to the bar code as a clue that it is
appropriate for middle school......
* * * * * *
I am librarian at a small (185 students) PreK-8 school.  I have Easy,
Intermediate, Fiction, and Young Adult sections in the fiction area.  We
have color coded the books with tape and dots.  This is the first year on
the Young Adult and only a few fifth graders have grumbled and they will
be able to check out from the Young Adult after Easter vacation.

No matter how well they read, in my mind there are still topics that need
maturity.  We don't have a lot of those anyway.
* * * * * *
My library is very small, about a classroom and a half.  We are a Pre-K -
5th grade school.  There are about 600 students.  I have arranged an easy
section, easy non-fiction section and an easy Louisiana section.  I have
made a corner for this.  The students sit on the floor, and then check
books out from only this section.  I have made exceptions with special
requests from teachers, parents or a plea from the students.  Works great
for me.

* Charlotte Snyder, Librarian         *
* The Waldorf School of Baltimore     *
* and Baltimore County Public Library *
* csnyder@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us         *

listserv@listserv.syr.edu In the message write EITHER
    NOTE: Please allow time for confirmation from Listserv.
For more help see LM_NET On The Web: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/