Thanks Everyone!

I have received 45 replies so far, on both sides of the issue.  Many have
mentioned points of view that I hadn't considered.  Since I had so many
reply that they were waiting for the HIT, I am posting it as soon as
possible and will add updates if anymore responses come.  Since there were
so many reponses, I have divided them into 4 parts and hope that won't
overwhelm anyone.

Thanks again!

Sherida C. Steffen, Librarian
Rose Warren Elementary School
Las Vegas, Nevada
Sherida_C._Steffen@aspen.interact.K12.nv.us
This also drives me mad!  I had a conversation with the elementary
principal
about teacher restrictions at the end of the year, asking to make it an
agenda item at a staff meeting.  I am purchasing more and more age
appropriate nonfiction which these students never get to check out when
they
can only check out picture books or chapter books, etc.  My 1st and 2nd
grade teachers are the worst offenders.  I have circumvented these
teachers'
restrictions by placing books I discuss or use in lessons on a display
table
in the middle of the library for student check out.  The students are very
grateful and nearly every book gets checked out.

I think these types of restrictions are intended to make sure a child
checks
out something that is age appropriate, but they do not take into account
the
diversity of student ability.  To restrict a gifted 1st grader to
vocabulary
limited picture books (one of my 1st grade teacher's methods) will bore
that
child into illiteracy!  Also, why can't an academically challenged 5th
grader read several books to total 100 pages rather than one book of 100
pages which to him or her may seem an impossible task?  There are many
picture books on important topics (Pink and Say by Patricia Polacco on the
Civil War comes to mind) which will extend that child's abilities more than
a mountain of text.

The only time I recall a restriction of selection by my teachers was in two
cases:
        1. Required that students select something beyond picture books (these
were third graders who still loved their old favorites and she wanted them
to grow with some of the more grade appropriate chapter books.)
        2. Special topic or assignment given by the teacher and she/he requested
that I not allow the students to select anything except books on their
topic for this one circulation period.  Problem with this assignment...she
gave me no notice and as a result many of the "selected topic" books she
wanted for her students were already checked out by other students in other
classes.  I could have pulled them all and made them available to select
from had she/he given me enough notice to "reserve" these.  Needless to
say, I was unable to assist her students in meeting this requirement.

Other than these two times, I've not had a big problem with any
restrictions.  Sometimes a student will come in and ask for a good book to
read and on occasion the suggestion I make is met with a "my mom doesn't
allow me to read books about ....." so I just simply try something
else...interview with further questions to figure out and meet the
student's need.
I have had this only when an assignment is goven for a book report in the
intermediate grades so they will not get Dr. Seuss and try to use it to
avoid an assignment.
The second grade teachers at some point in the year will instruct the
children to get chapter books and one even comes in to assist the children
by seeing if they select books that they are capable of reading. They take
two books so the second book has no restriction. If they go ever their head
on the second we try to advise but if that fails we let them have it. We
suggest someone read to them. Hope this is what you wanted to know.
I have a first grade teacher who insists her children must pick books they
can read. I get around it by letting the chidren have 2 books - one for the
teacher's request, and one of their own choosing.
When I was a parent volunteer in my child's elementary school (the
librarian
position had been eliminated-no aides either...but that's another thread)
the
1st grade teachers would not let their students check out non-fiction
books.
We were quite dismayed and brought this to the attention of the library
steering committee and the principal but we were "just parents" and what
did
we know?  This policy proceeded for several years until a professional lib.
med. spec. was hired.
I agree with you.  I can understand a teacher giving parameters for a
book for a specific assignment but your message implies that the
restriction was for ANY borrowing?  Students should be able to borrow
freely for recreational reading or to follow their own interests.
  The one thing I did was allow students to have more than one book
checked out at a time.  So, if a teacher required a certain book for
classroom assignments, etc, the students still were able to select books
that appealed to them.   I did have a time convincing primary teachers to
allow students to check out books they couldn't "read"  But, it was my
library and I did what I wanted.  They got over it after a few years.
AS a high school librarian it galls me sometimes when teachers send kids
in to
the library to check out a book with restrictions. I may find them a book
we
both think they'll like but it's short of the required number of pages or
the
teacher deems it "too easy" or whatever. As the "expert" I would like to be
consulted first and I have asked teachers to let me know about their
restrictions, but they seem to have no idea that I go a lot of trouble to
pick
out a good book for a student. To have that student return to the library
15
minutes later and say they can't check out the book is insulting.
   I try to honor the teacher's wishes, then "offset" it by allowing
students
to also take out any book or two of THEIR choosing even if this means
exceeding the usual limits.  Don't know that I've ever made a big deal out
of
it, just sort of matter-of-factly allow extra check-out for students in
those
cases - everyone seems satisfied, teachers AND kids.
        I have one teacher who does not let them get drawing or joke books
during her time. Since it is a middle school the kids can come in on
passes and before and after school to get these books. I have no problem
with this since it is HER class time.