Here is Part 2 of 4 parts.

Thanks again!

Sherida C. Steffen, Librarian
Rose Warren Elementary School
Las Vegas, Nevada
Sherida_C._Steffen@aspen.interact.K12.nv.us
I have teachers who may want only biographies one six weeks, only
adolescent
novels another.  It goes along with whatever they are studying. Some
restrict page numbers, such as must be over 200 pages or must be on a 10th
grade level (whatever that is?).  If you know what you teachers want, then
I'd get the BEST chapter books, the BEST picture books, the short books.
Some teachers you can work with, but others will just quit coming if you
suggest too much.  I think they see it as a threat or questioning their
professional judgement. As long as the students are reading, you are okay.
When the teachers quit going to the library and the students quit reading,
then you have a problem to worry about.
I'm afraid I had to establish my own guidelines.  The teachers found it
perfectly acceptable for kids to check out two drawing books and somehow
the limit got established at two books per kid not matter what age.  I'd
like that to change; one of my colleagues in another school system has a
limit of 10.  My teachers would have strokes but it is a number we could
work toward.  I followed the guidelines of my mentor librarian  -- "You
may choose any book you like as long as you check out a fiction book with
it (appropriate reading level of course)."  Some of my teachers had a fit
but most said BRAVO.  Coming from teaching high school, I can now see how
kids quit reading -- I had a hard time believing them until I came to an
elementary building and I still don't understand those few teachers who
don't promote reading.  By the time my school year was done, I had huge
reserve lists because kids were interested in good books when someone
made them aware of them.
 I am also in a elementary school where teachers sometimes restrict
students to particular types of books.  Most of the time, I have found
that they are teaching something that deals with "picture books" or
"chapter books" and have a good reason for their requests.
I always help the students find what the teacher wants because  I feel
like I should support the teacher.  All of my teachers let their
students pick books of their choice most of the remaining weeks. I guess
I never have felt like this was wrong on the teacher's part , just part
of my job.
Teachers at my elementary school often request that their classes check
out a particular type of book (mystery, historical fiction, etc.). In our
elementary library students may have two books checked out at any time,
but a book required for classwork is an "extra." So they check out two
books of any kind, and choose an extra book of the type their teacher
wants them to read. Everybody seems to be pretty happy with this
arrangement.
Hi.  I agree with you.  Sounds like you need to do a little educating of
your
teachers about your role in the instructional process and team playing,
etc.
I don't think teachers should restrict books.  When I was in the school and
public library, I even discouraged teachers from requiring a certain
number of pages, i.e. a book over 100 pages.  Sounds like you have an
uphill battle.
Good luck.
I have some primary level teachers who try to set some "guidelines", such
as: only one non-fiction book, or only one chapter book.  Usually this is
avoid having kids take books which they are unlikely to read or understand,
or which their parents are unlikely to read to them.
I prefer to let kids pick what they want, occasionally restricting a book
when it is apparent the book is inappropriate for their reading or interest
level (there are always a few who pick their books to impress others with
its thickness.)
What would be a bigger deterrent to reading enjoyment than being required
to read only what someone else deems appropriate?
 The students in my school can take 2 books each week (2nd grade--5th).  If
this were your school's policy, how about telling the children they can
take 2
books of their own choice, and an extra which is the teacher's assignment
(picture book, 100 pages long, etc.)?  Is the teacher's request because
she/he feels the students should strive to read "more" difficult books
than theywould choose on their own?  I worked with someone a while ago who
suggestedthat "water seeks its own level", and that children take from the
library what they are comfortable with. There is a difference between
"instructional level" of reading (a class set of a 4th grade novel
"taught" by the teacher) and "recreational reading". Some librarians have
a concern about books that appear to be "babyish".  I've never had that
problem; even the oldest kids take Dr. Seuss.  I would agree with you that
anyone can take anything she/he wants.  Do you have any "primer" 5th
graders at your school?  I do.
   I have also had students come in with these types of guidelines on
choosing books (the worst was first person narrative since you basically
have to open the book and read a little of each to see if it is first
person).
  I think the page number idea is that some students don't choose the
"skinniest" book they can find.  I've often found that to be a number 1
criteria with some students, even good readers.  Sometimes it is genre and
the picture books may have to do with a study of illustrations.
  You are right that the teachers should be more cooperative in explaining
their assignments to you, and asking for your assistance.  Most seem to be
trying to get their classes to choose from the whole library, not just one
area that the child is interested in.
Teachers do that all the time - they also have a role in developing
children's reading habits.  As long as they don't restrict all the items
the
children are borrowing it's OK with me.  Sometimes it even helps me select
books and determine what teachers would like the reading levels to be at
their grade level.  Also I have labeled books to help them.  For instance,
all chapter books in the E section now have blue tape on them - and I have
labeled the easiest books in the F section with blue tape also.  Second
graders when asked to find a chapter book can now look for blue tape and
know they will probably be able to read it.  The books aimed at beginning
readers - Easy readers all have red tape on them.
Yes many times this type of structure is used for an assignment.  Best
advice is to give teachers ideas of other ways to set criteria that are
more appropriate.  It may be a case of "I never thought of it that way."
Keep working at it.  My most baffaling experience of this sort was a
middle school assignment to read a book with a copyright date before 1960
or some such.  With the weeding policy in place this became almost an
impossible assignment to support.  I got wind of it as the son of one of
my teachers had to complete it.  I happened to have just the thing (in my
own home collection a favorite novel I had loved as a kid).
 My students are allowed to take two books out from the
collection. (sometimes more if they are doing research) One of these
books is free choice. The other may be an assignment from the teacher.
That is how I handle this problem. I think it is important to wear your
many hats when evaluating what teachers do. For example, in my school
the picture book assignment may be so the class can have reading buddies
with younger children, reading and talking to them. Wear your teacher
hat as you decide when you are evaluating the assignment is my advice.