This is the third of four parts

Thanks again!

Sherida Steffen, Librarian
Rose Warren Elementary School
Las Vegas, Nevada
email: Sherida_C._Steffen@aspen.interact.K12.nv.us
***************************************
When I am put into a similar position I remind myself that my job is to
promote Reading.  When I feel a student is being turned off to Reading
because
of a teacher's curriculum, I encourage the child to read what s/he wants.
only have one boss and she is the principal.  I find myself reminding some
teachers of this fact often throughout the year.  The teacher will either
"allow" the student to read what she has chosen or find a book for the
student
on their own.  Working with so many different teachers and teaching styles
is
a lot more difficult than teaching so many different students with
different
learning styles.
I've talked with teachers about this.  I encourage them to work with
me on developing studies of different types of literature. I show them
how to use the various bibliographic references and offer to help with
selection based on what we have in our collection or what I can easily
get.  I offer to order additional titles for next year's project.
(Teachers sometimes think you're knocking yourself out when, in
reality, you're only doing your job)

When students come to the library for a particular assignment, I steer
them toward the appropriate books.  But I will not limit check-outs.
I tell students if a book they've chosen will not be accepted for a
particular assignment.  I tell them to read it "on their own".
   I also have teachers who tell the students they are to check out a
fiction, non-fiction, etc. Often they are assigning the students a
project, for example I always have students come in asking for a "how
to" book. I allow the students to check out 3 books in these cases so
that they can get what the teacher wants annd something they want. It is
especially helpful when they want non-fiction. I tell them that they can
only check out 2 non-fiction books and the third one has to be a fiction
book for pleasure.
   I don't have an answer for requiring a certain # of pages, that
always drives me crazy.
At an early age students only check out books that they feel comfortable
with.
Therefore the teacher is actually trying to broaden their horizons!  Some
students will never check out "picture books" because they think they are
too
easy.  And yet the stories are classics unto themselves and need to be
read.

Picture books / Chapter Books.  By the same token, picture books are often
books that shold be read to students rather than having them read. Many of
them are NOT on a first or second grade reading level, but a much higher
reading level.  (Yes, the story is on this low level, but not the
readability.)  So chapter books allow students to read themselves.  Also
teachers want to teach students that sometimes they may not finish a book
at
one time.  Hence, read a chapter or a couple of chapters each day.

And......there are good reasons for teachers sto make such assisgnments.
Our
job is support in nature.  We are to support the curriculum.  That is
where I
role differs from the public library.
Many times teachers are working with a particular genre in the
classroom. I had a teacher take most of the Caldecott books because she
was working with that type of literature.
There is a real problem with kids, especially boys, not wanting to read
fiction. I think the teacher may have been forcing the kids to try
something new.
I work with teachers to plan lessons. Perhaps you could talk to the
teachers and find out what they are trying to do with the assignments.
Collaborate and do somethinig wonderful!
I have worked in my current job for 13 years and have encountered some
teacher restrictions.  What I do is say in front of the student and the
teacher (after the teacher says "you may not check out that book") "you can
check out and read any book in this library, but in order to get the grade
in this class, you should also get a book that your teacher  will approve
for this assignment".  I have found that at least one teacher has taken up
this little chant.

I do always wince when I hear a certain colleague say "I don't think you
will find this interesting.  Find a different book."  I have not yet
figured out what to say to that.  How does one person know what would not
be interesting to another, especially someone that you have known for maybe
2 or 3 years, are at least 20 years older than, perhaps of a different sex
and culture group, etc.,etc.????

I am interested in other responses. Especially since just this year I was
surprised to find out that a student (boy, poor reader, basketball player,
immigrant family) really did not like any of the sports books I kept
picking out for him (it's what he's interested in??) He kept asking for a
funny book.  I finally gave him the Bingo Brown book by Betsy Byars.  He
loved it!! It's the first book that he read all the way through.  It really
opened up my eyes about my misconceptions about what kids like to read.
It usually makes me cringe when I hear certain restrictions, but I go
along with it and support the teacher.  Then, when kids come in on their
own, I sometimes "forget" the restrictions :}
I have a teacher who make such restrictions, but it is because she is
making a particular point in her lessons.  I am grateful that she uses the
library!
I have had some teachers do that but for the following reasons:
         Child is only taking out picture books when they should be reading
something appropriate for their grade level.  Child wants to get a book
the teacher knows the child would not be able to read but does not want to
discourage the child, so they suggest books on the child's appropriate
reading level.  Also in second grade the teachers try to encourage the
children to
begin reading chapter books.  A lot of students are hesitant because there
are not a lot of  pictures.  Teachers in my school only restrict the
children when they would like the children to get a certain type of book
for a report.   Since there are 900 children in my school and only one of
me, I
appreciate when the teachers clue me in when a child has a problem
reading.
I had a similar experience with first grade teachers who wanted
their students to check out only picture books, or, as they worked on
reading, books they could read themselves.  They also insisted students
take only 1 book each week, because they kept track of who brought books
back each week and who didn't!  They kept a chart in their classrooms and
students received a sticker when they brought back their books.  After a
year of this, I talked with the principal and then proposed that students
be permitted two books, that one of the books could be anything the student
wanted while the other should be something for practicing reading, and that
I would worry about books returning.  They finally agreed, but it was hard
for them.

I think you're right that we're often not viewed as colleagues in the
instructional process.  Good luck with this one; I agree with you.
Students need to explore and find out what interests them.  What better
place than the library!
I've always responded by saying that I will gladly help
students choose one of whatever kind of book it is
their teacher wants them to get but that I will
continue to allow them to choose additional books
of their choice as that is what a library and reading
are about...